PDA

View Full Version : 28 mpg V-8

rockne10
05-25-2005, 09:01 PM
I swapped the 3-speed in my 63 Cruiser for a 3-speed with overdrive and did not change the rear gears. Thought I might have some problems with lugging up the mountains in central Pa but haven't noticed any problem, just drop out of OD when necessary. Don't believe it if you want to but I'm getting an average of 28 mpg with regular fuel if I don't push much beyond legal speed limits.
I did polish each crank journal and matched bearings within 1/1000 and shaved the heads 20,000. Oil pressure never drops below 70, no leaks and no burns. Can this be a Studebaker?
If I get rid of this car I'm keeping this engine.

studeclunker
05-26-2005, 03:23 AM
Sounds about right.:D My '64 wagon gets the same when the OD is working. Right now it is'nt and the milage stinks.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

Sam Roberts
05-26-2005, 07:41 AM
Have you checked the odometer against the mileage markers on an interstate? The speedometer gear may not be the right one for the application. I have no idea what you were getting before, but as I understand it, overdrive is a 30% factor. With today's cheap gas ( in quality ) that is an amazing mpg!

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I swapped the 3-speed in my 63 Cruiser for a 3-speed with overdrive and did not change the rear gears. Thought I might have some problems with lugging up the mountains in central Pa but haven't noticed any problem, just drop out of OD when necessary. Don't believe it if you want to but I'm getting an average of 28 mpg with regular fuel if I don't push much beyond legal speed limits.
I did polish each crank journal and matched bearings within 1/1000 and shaved the heads 20,000. Oil pressure never drops below 70, no leaks and no burns. Can this be a Studebaker?
If I get rid of this car I'm keeping this engine.

Sam Roberts

rockne10
05-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Yes, Sam.
I thought that mileage was a bit much to hope for so I did check the mile markers and held it at sixty for sixty seconds in case the markers weren't right. Then I had to accelerate so the rigs wouldn't mow me down. I'm real pleased. With the straight 3-speed Iwas averaging 23mpg.

Roscomacaw
05-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Man - you guys must drive with ONE feathery foot![:0] 28MPG was what the Mobilegas Economy Run Studes managed. And those cars were factory tweaked and professionally driven! My '52 Champion could eek out 27MPG if I drove it like an old lady and didn't have much, if any, headwind.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

1949commander
05-27-2005, 10:31 AM
What rear end gears does your car have?? I talked to someone at South Bend a few years ago and he put the overdive with the auto trans gears which I think were 3.55, but they may have been 3.31. He said he got mid to high 20's on the road. What RPM does it turn at 60MPH? Most new cars with a V-8 turn about 1600 at 60 MPH. I have heard that a properly set carburetor will actually get better mileage than multiport fuel injection because of the cooling effect the venturi has. Problem is most aren't set-up right.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Sam Roberts
05-27-2005, 11:56 AM
If it was a 3.31 with a .7 OD factor it would be a final drive of 2.32! That in itself is doable as that is about what late Crown Vics end up with, using FI and computers. My initial thought was that if you did not change the speedometer gear that was in the OD transmission that was probably for a 4.09 or 4.55 axle, it might show more mileage traveled than actually covered.

quote:Originally posted by 1949commander

What rear end gears does your car have?? I talked to someone at South Bend a few years ago and he put the overdive with the auto trans gears which I think were 3.55, but they may have been 3.31. He said he got mid to high 20's on the road. What RPM does it turn at 60MPH? Most new cars with a V-8 turn about 1600 at 60 MPH. I have heard that a properly set carburetor will actually get better mileage than multiport fuel injection because of the cooling effect the venturi has. Problem is most aren't set-up right.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Sam Roberts

studeclunker
05-28-2005, 12:14 PM
I have an advertisement from TIME mag. dated June 28, 1954. The ad makes a claim that a '54 Champion V-8 with overdrive made 29.58 MPG.;) That's a larger and much heaver car than a Lark.[}:)] I would post the ad if I knew how...[:I] Nice looking car, the '54s. I realllly like the wagon.:D

Oh yes, I have been accused of driving like an old man.[:I] Kind of follows... I AM ONE!!:D:D:D:D

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Sam Roberts
05-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Actually, the weights of those cars is not that much difference. Length is though. I have a 1955 Commander coupe, and a 1966 Cruiser, both V8 automatics, and there is not over 100 pounds difference AFAIR. Wheelbase on the coupe is 120.5 ", and on the Cruiser it is 113".

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

I have an advertisement from TIME mag. dated June 28, 1954. The ad makes a claim that a '54 Champion V-8 with overdrive made 29.58 MPG.;) That's a larger and much heaver car than a Lark.[}:)] I would post the ad if I knew how...[:I] Nice looking car, the '54s. I realllly like the wagon.:D

Oh yes, I have been accused of driving like an old man.[:I] Kind of follows... I AM ONE!!:D:D:D:D

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Sam Roberts

studegary
05-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Sam, you are definitly correct in stating that the weights of your two models are about the same. The base weight of a 1955 Commander coupe is 3065 pounds and a 1966 Cruiser V8 is 3066 pounds. Studeclunker, there is no such thing, from the factory, as a "'54 Champion V-8" (sic). I think that rockne10 needs to verify his odometer. He probably has the incorrect speedometer gearing in his transmission for the differential/tire combination that he is using.

Dwain G.
05-30-2005, 01:51 PM
A '54 Champion sedan did get 29.58 in the Mobilgas Economy run, but perhaps the ad referred to was a Champion spark plug ad. I've seen 2 or 3 versions of that ad, and it says something like "Champion equipped (Commander, or V-8, variously).

Dwain G.

Sam Roberts
05-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Being somewhat the 1955 model fan :D I have before me a framed ad for Champion spark plugs, and Studebaker! At the bottom it says, and I quote, " Five rib Champions score sixth straight victory in Mobilgas Economy Run. A Champion-equipped Studebaker Commander averaged 27.4 miles per gallon to win the 1955 Sweepstakes Trophy in 1323-mile economy test!" unquote. The picture shows a 4 door sedan, has J.R. Townsend's name on the fender, and the doors show the test was ran from L.A. to Colorado Springs.

A '54 Champion sedan did get 29.58 in the Mobilgas Economy run, but perhaps the ad referred to was a Champion spark plug ad. I've seen 2 or 3 versions of that ad, and it says something like "Champion equipped (Commander, or V-8, variously).

Dwain G.
[/quote]

Sam Roberts

studeclunker
06-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Okay... Ad number one. and I quote the small print:

America's car owners have known for months that Studebaker styling is outstanding.
Now Studebaker's aerodynamic beauty sparkles with another proud distinction.
The far-advanced 1954 Studebaker is undisputed gasoline economy champion.
Three strictly stock studebaker sedans made a clean sweep of all the important"firsts" in this year's Mobilgas Economy Run.
Don't settle for an outmoded "new" car. Insure yourself high resale value for years. Get an out-ahead '54 Studebaker -- free from gas-eating excess bulk and power-wasting extra weight -- the best engineered, best built car in America!
Duplicates of Studebaker's sensational Mobilgas Economy Run winners are available immediately at suprisingly low cost. See your Studebaker dealer right away.

There is a four door sedan (green) pictured in the middle of the page with lots of stuff printed on the side of the car. It indicates the dealership that entered the car (Paramount Motors INC, San Fransisco CA) some stuff about the M.G. Run and I can't read what is on the back fender.
Underneath this car is the caption:

Now It's offical! Studebaker is America's No.1 economy Car!
Winner of the mobilgas run Grand Sweepstakes trophy -- Studebaker Land Cruiser V-8 with overdrive! Highest actual gas mileage of any Sweepstakes winner in history! Beat all eights and sixes competing except Studebaker Champion. The Champion with overdrive got 29.58 miles per gallon.

The title for the ad reads:

Another Triumph!
Advanced style Studebakers win the '54 Mobilgas Economy Run!

Please forgive my going on so much. I just wanted everyone to see that I know the difference between a sparkplug ad and a Studebaker ad. Wheather the Champion had a six or an eight the ad does'nt say. Please forgive any typos, Secretary I'm not.

Oh by the way, I have a second TIME ad from August 23, 1954 that makes the claim of winning the M.E.R. as well. It does'nt give the 29.58 mpg claim though. They did claim one could go 2958 miles on 100 gallons of gas (about 29.58 mpg). I did'nt buy the ads for the milage claims but for the really nice pictures of the 54 models. There is no mistaking these ads for anything but Studebaker ads.

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

studegary
06-03-2005, 12:54 PM
It makes no difference what ad it is from. In the 1954 model year, all Studebaker Champions were six cylinder and only six cylinder. All 1954 Commanders, including Land Cruisers, were V8s and only V8s. I can not even think of any export variations to this. Studeclunker, I was only disputing your statement of "'54 Champion V-8" (sic) as being an impossible model. Your recently quoted ad states "Land Cruiser V-8" and "Champion" (with no engine stated - known to be six cylinder. This only supports my position and not yours. I hate to get into a trivia war, but I like to keep Studebaker history accurate.

studeclunker
06-04-2005, 08:36 AM
I was not arguing the point on the champion. My point was that these are Studebaker ads. Not spark plug or some other accessory. Also the only point I have been consistantly making is milage. Really good milage. As I recall, that is the topic.:D

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Sam Roberts
06-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Being a Studebaker ad, or a Champion ad in conjunction with Studebaker, should not alter the intent. IMHO an ad of 50 years ago probably had more " truth in advertising " than ads of today. ( Please, no jihad over that statement :D ) Another point to consider here is that the gas of today is not conducive to gas mileage ( the oil barons can rob you better that way ) meaning if you had that car that won the mileage championship of 50 years ago, it would be lucky to get 25 mpg with today's gas.

I was not arguing the point on the champion. My point was that these are Studebaker ads. Not spark plug or some other accessory. Also the only point I have been consistantly making is milage. Really good milage. As I recall, that is the topic.:D

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Sam Roberts

studeclunker
06-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Well Mr Roberts, then we're two lucky guys...:D By the way, to get the milage on my wagon it requires no more than 60 mph and a steady pedal. The service manual for Larks even mentions that one must keep their speed down to get good milage. Just because the cars are capable of speed does'nt mean it's always a good idea.;) As far as keeping up with traffic. I don't try. All I do is try to keep out of the way.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Sam Roberts
06-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Most friends just call me Sam, non-friends...........well it could be most anything! ;) I guess I missed your reference to " lucky guys " though.

Well Mr Roberts, then we're two lucky guys...:D By the way, to get the milage on my wagon it requires no more than 60 mph and a steady pedal. The service manual for Larks even mentions that one must keep their speed down to get good milage. Just because the cars are capable of speed does'nt mean it's always a good idea.;) As far as keeping up with traffic. I don't try. All I do is try to keep out of the way.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Sam Roberts

Roscomacaw
06-05-2005, 12:01 PM
So - you prefer "Sam". Izzat right[?][:0][}:)]:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Sam Roberts
06-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Yes I do, the Mr. thingie always seems so condescending to me! ;)
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

So - you prefer "Sam". Izzat right[?][:0][}:)]:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Sam Roberts

studeclunker
06-07-2005, 01:13 AM
My apologies Sam. I just could'nt resist the 'Mr. Roberts' being raised by Mrs. Smith and an old Navy chief as well as being a movie buff.
One problem with being raised in a mixed household.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker