PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker 'throwaway'engines

52hawk
05-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Most people over the age of 50,that come into my shop,have a comment about my Hawk.[Lots of stories,I think I could write a book some day!]One day an older guy came in,he told me that Studebaker had what was considered'throwaway engines' !
Since that day,I have pulled out all my back issues of TW featuring the pure stock muscle car drags,and the Bonneville stories-just to show to the next 'historian' that comes in!!
Part of the fun of being into Studes is the mis-information,heresy,and just total mystery that comes with the cars,but my favorite question is ' It must be almost impossible to get parts for it,huh?'

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.

Chris Pile
05-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Well - the engines in the Weasels were considered by the military to be "throwaways" of a sort because of the difficulty in replacement & repair of the engine. The superstructure was sort of built around the engine. As it turns out, GI's were a resourceful lot - and did manage to devise methods for doing this, sometimes out of necessity.

Roscomacaw
05-19-2005, 11:15 PM
52, I concur with your choice for "favorite question". Of course, that one usually follows: What's it got for an engine now? - The assumption being that that little flathead 6 (Of course, they ALL had "that little flathead 6") had died ages ago and probably got replaced by the requisite SBC invincible powerplant.:( You know - the "Heartburn of America"[}:)]:D

Miscreant at large.

BRUCESTUDE
05-19-2005, 11:47 PM
WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL, I DROVE A '51 BULLET NOSE (THIS IN THE MID-70S)AND WORKED AT A TOOL RENTAL SHOP. I GOT A LOT OF COMMENTS, BUT MY FAVORITE WAS FROM A GUY THAT SAID THAT STUDES USED CONTINENTAL ENGINES! I SAID SOME 30'S TRUCKS DID, BUT NO, STUDE BUILT THEIR OWN MOTORS. HE WAS ADAMANT, I COULDN'T SWAY HIM.
...PROBABLLY DROVE A CHEVY.

studeclunker
05-20-2005, 02:57 AM
My favourite question is; "Were'nt those Studebakers built by Chevrolet?"[:o)] Or second; "Who built Studebakers? Ford or Chevy?"[:o)]

Oy vay![V]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

65cruiser
05-20-2005, 05:08 AM
It happened to me last night. I ran into a neighbor who used to live down the road and he said "hey, Susan tells me you're driving an old blue Rambler".

[8D]

1949commander
05-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Gee I aways thought that the GM small block is the ultimate throwaway engine, they are like a 3Hp Briggs and Straton. Cheap, low tech and much cheaper to just buy a new one every 3 years. Most non car people think that all discontinued makes were special models built by GM or Ford. I have even heard people say that Ford built Imperials???? I have a friend that's into Kiaser/Fraziers and at one show someone asked him what country was his Fraiser imported from??? Henry Kiaser must have rolled over a few times when that question was asked.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going