***THings For Chapters to Do.****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***THings For Chapters to Do.****

Well The response To the Chapter Member question is great. I thought I would share what I have been trying to do. http://www.rocknrod.com/ is a car show listing place anything going on Car related is on this site. You click on the month your State and hey there's Car Stuff. Main thing is to get our Studes out there for the public to admire ask questions generate interest. So Runs with other small car clubs where partcipation is slight for them too together makes an impact. I try to have one member show up for an event if they let me know they are at an event then I try to show up so I can help talk Stude. Last weekend we went to a Pizza Parlor in the foothills east of Fresno Squaw Valley. That was fun. I post all Car events that I can find in our one page newsletter. That way people can pick and choose what they can attend. I hope some of this helps I'm learning as I go. Another site is http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/2007show/07sanger/
    This is part of my newsletter for an example.
    Car Happenings
    Sat March 24th 9am Manchester center Travel to Hilmar To Cheese Factory Info Herb Helner 559-486-8406
    March 31 LaidLaw Run Murphys Ca
    Calis North Blackstone/Barstow Friday Nights Starting
    April 6th
    April 14 Tower Classic Car Show 497-8362
    April 21 Kingsburg Car Show
    April 21 Stockton Grupe Park 1-5 Pm
    April 21 Chubbys 1st & Gettysburg Car Show 6pm

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Our Midway Chapter participates in several Wichita area car shows on a regular basis, but recently formed a loose alliance with 2 other orphan car clubs (Packard & Hudson) with the intentions of having joint club activities.
    The Wichita car scene is loosely organized as the Wichita Area Council of Car Clubs (WACCC) for the purpose of show & officer insurance, as a PAC in Topeka concerning auto laws, and hosting the World's Largest FREE Outdoor Car Show once a year at Lake Afton close to Wichita (usually over 2500 cars in 50 clubs).
    The Wichita car scene also has its own publication, known as "Cruisin' Calendar '07", put together by a local magazine publisher (CARS mag).
    This color pamphlet is regarded as the local Bible when planning your auto hobby weekend, or advertising your auto hobby event. This calendar also has contact info for each club in the Car Council (plus others not in the council).
    The Midway Chapter is advertising a meet in the current issue, and refer to it frequently for club info and car show info.

Chris Pile
    The Studebaker Special
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Our Midway Chapter participates in several Wichita area car shows on a regular basis, but recently formed a loose alliance with 2 other orphan car clubs (Packard & Hudson) with the intentions of having joint club activities.
      The Wichita car scene is loosely organized as the Wichita Area Council of Car Clubs (WACCC) for the purpose of show & officer insurance, as a PAC in Topeka concerning auto laws, and hosting the World's Largest FREE Outdoor Car Show once a year at Lake Afton close to Wichita (usually over 2500 cars in 50 clubs).
      The Wichita car scene also has its own publication, known as "Cruisin' Calendar '07", put together by a local magazine publisher (CARS mag).
      This color pamphlet is regarded as the local Bible when planning your auto hobby weekend, or advertising your auto hobby event. This calendar also has contact info for each club in the Car Council (plus others not in the council).
      The Midway Chapter is advertising a meet in the current issue, and refer to it frequently for club info and car show info.

Chris Pile
      The Studebaker Special
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The Eastern North Carolina Chapter participates in two or three mixed make car shows each year. The Sun Coast Cruisers invite us to their Back to the Beach car show each March. The always make us feel right at home and allow us to park our cars together every year. The night before the show is a cruise through Carolina and Kure Beaches and again the Studebakers get to line up together.

Each April, the city of Selma, NC, puts on their Selma Car Classic. In which car clubs are invited to participate. The neat thing here is that if your club is invited, and it brings 12 or more cars, the club gets $300! A great fund raiser and a chapter meet that requires nothing except notification and showing up. Our Chapter has gotten the $300 for the last four years and expects to this April as well.

Last summer we had nothing planned for July, when a last minute phone call came from the the Selma organizers concerning another car show in neighoring Smithfield, NC. This meet too gave us $300 when we showed up with 12 cars.

Over the years all three of th ese shows have not only allowed us to show off our Studes to non-Stude folks, but they have actually netted us new members.
        Joe Roberts
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The Eastern North Carolina Chapter participates in two or three mixed make car shows each year. The Sun Coast Cruisers invite us to their Back to the Beach car show each March. The always make us feel right at home and allow us to park our cars together every year. The night before the show is a cruise through Carolina and Kure Beaches and again the Studebakers get to line up together.

Each April, the city of Selma, NC, puts on their Selma Car Classic. In which car clubs are invited to participate. The neat thing here is that if your club is invited, and it brings 12 or more cars, the club gets $300! A great fund raiser and a chapter meet that requires nothing except notification and showing up. Our Chapter has gotten the $300 for the last four years and expects to this April as well.

Last summer we had nothing planned for July, when a last minute phone call came from the the Selma organizers concerning another car show in neighoring Smithfield, NC. This meet too gave us $300 when we showed up with 12 cars.

Over the years all three of th ese shows have not only allowed us to show off our Studes to non-Stude folks, but they have actually netted us new members.
          Joe Roberts
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

A couple of things that might help. Don't have the meeting in the same place every month. Keep a variety going. Some people like different things to do to keep it from going stale. I came up with the idea when I was tour master. We met in one of our members new garage and everybody brought pictures of them selves when they were in high school. Everyone got a kick out of it. It really went over big. And we have had a couple of meeting in Libarys and had Show and Tell. We have had one for men and one for women. Wheather it was Studebaker or other hobbys. The wome really enjoyed the one for women. You have to keep the women interested also. And another thing we try to do is have spring Studebaker Weekend. We had one at Grand Lake last spring. A two day deal. We done tours all day and a 2 hour boat ride and then set around the motel and talked. What fun.

48 7G-Q1 49 2R12 56 B-D4 56 B-F2

Comment

A couple of things that might help. Don't have the meeting in the same place every month. Keep a variety going. Some people like different things to do to keep it from going stale. I came up with the idea when I was tour master. We met in one of our members new garage and everybody brought pictures of them selves when they were in high school. Everyone got a kick out of it. It really went over big. And we have had a couple of meeting in Libarys and had Show and Tell. We have had one for men and one for women. Wheather it was Studebaker or other hobbys. The wome really enjoyed the one for women. You have to keep the women interested also. And another thing we try to do is have spring Studebaker Weekend. We had one at Grand Lake last spring. A two day deal. We done tours all day and a 2 hour boat ride and then set around the motel and talked. What fun.

48 7G-Q1 49 2R12 56 B-D4 56 B-F2

Comment

We have a meeting in a rec center each month but July, when we are in a 4 July parage.

Last week, after the business meeting / tips / Studetrivia contest / BS session it was Chili cook-off and this Thursday it is Hobby show - Did know the former SDC President Colin Fort was a Luger collector and Studebaker watch expert?

W
                Remember that "Driver" means "Person."

Did you know that my last Technical job was PM for a battery that cost $10,000 each, when you toss in deveopment charges?
                (It probably would have cost only 1/10 of that had the device it was suppose to power work!

Karl

Comment

We have a meeting in a rec center each month but July, when we are in a 4 July parage.

Last week, after the business meeting / tips / Studetrivia contest / BS session it was Chili cook-off and this Thursday it is Hobby show - Did know the former SDC President Colin Fort was a Luger collector and Studebaker watch expert?

W
                  Remember that "Driver" means "Person."

Did you know that my last Technical job was PM for a battery that cost $10,000 each, when you toss in deveopment charges?
                  (It probably would have cost only 1/10 of that had the device it was suppose to power work!

Karl

Comment

The National SDC provides each chapter with a roster of all members of the national club in their area. I don't know how often national does this, perhaps quarterly, perhaps once a year (does anyone know?). These rosters should be used as a recruitment tool to interest people in our local chapters. One suggestion I have made before on this forum is for newsletter editors to send a complimentary newsletter to all non-local club members who are listed on the national roster from your area. In addition to sending a newsletter, also send a letter of welcome urging the person to join the local chapter. I'd even through in a SASE so it's as easy as possible to join. Stress in the letter that the local chapter is open to anyone who belongs to SDC and that a person does not need to own a Studebaker to join. You may get no response or the response may surprise you. Either way, many of our chapters are aging (mine is and so am I!) so new blood is always needed. The more members and participants, the easier it is to plan for really fun and educational activities for your local chapter. Just an idea!

Studedude1961
                    --1963 Cruiser

Comment

The National SDC provides each chapter with a roster of all members of the national club in their area. I don't know how often national does this, perhaps quarterly, perhaps once a year (does anyone know?). These rosters should be used as a recruitment tool to interest people in our local chapters. One suggestion I have made before on this forum is for newsletter editors to send a complimentary newsletter to all non-local club members who are listed on the national roster from your area. In addition to sending a newsletter, also send a letter of welcome urging the person to join the local chapter. I'd even through in a SASE so it's as easy as possible to join. Stress in the letter that the local chapter is open to anyone who belongs to SDC and that a person does not need to own a Studebaker to join. You may get no response or the response may surprise you. Either way, many of our chapters are aging (mine is and so am I!) so new blood is always needed. The more members and participants, the easier it is to plan for really fun and educational activities for your local chapter. Just an idea!

Studedude1961
                      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Important editing to message above: The sentence that reads "I'd even through in a SASE so it's as easy as..." should read "I'd even throw in a SASE so it's as easy as..." I really regret the error!

Studedude 1961
                        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Important editing to message above: The sentence that reads "I'd even through in a SASE so it's as easy as..." should read "I'd even throw in a SASE so it's as easy as..." I really regret the error!

Studedude 1961
                          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

SDC provides chapters with a listing of new, renewed and expired/non-renewed memberships (not members) on a quarterly basis. As well as pursing the new members and existing members that do not belong to your chapter, it is good to follow up on those that have not renewed. These lists go from SDC to the Zone Coordinators to distribute to the Regional Managers (if you have one) and/or directly to the chapters themselves. If your chapter is not receiving these lists, check with your Regional Manager/Zone Coordinator.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

SDC provides chapters with a listing of new, renewed and expired/non-renewed memberships (not members) on a quarterly basis. As well as pursing the new members and existing members that do not belong to your chapter, it is good to follow up on those that have not renewed. These lists go from SDC to the Zone Coordinators to distribute to the Regional Managers (if you have one) and/or directly to the chapters themselves. If your chapter is not receiving these lists, check with your Regional Manager/Zone Coordinator.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X