This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuse panel -- HELP!!

Does anyone know where the fuse panel for the '62 4dr is? I have been looking all round under the dash and can't find it![:I] Help![:0]

Lotsa Larks!
    Studeclunker
    A.K.A: out2lunch

There isn't one. Most accessories are fed by circuit breakers, there is one fuse on the back of the headlight switch. Only other fuses are inline for add-ons like radio, clock etc.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

SCARY!![:0] Ok, So can I install one? How complicated would it be?

Lotsa Larks!
      Studeclunker
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I wouldn't bother, the CB's will trip and let you know if there's a problem with a circuit. Of course if you hear a CB cycling over and over again that means you should probably pull over and disconnect the battery before things get crispy.

If you do want to protect your car I would install high-amperage fuses in the connection between the main wiring harness and the starter solenoid and also between the generator and the harness. If Something Bad happens, you will be walking but at least you won't have fried your wiring harness.

There's really no substitute for keeping your wiring in good condition anyway, fuses won't protect you against everything. I remember one night I was helping my GF pick up her "new" car and I was in the middle of replacing all the dash lights on my old beater Scirocco and had the console all apart. Of course I couldn't drive 40 miles without tunes so I just hooked up the stereo and set it in the big hole where the front of the console used to be and drove off. Almost made it home before the chassis of the radio chafed through a dash light wire and smoked a good 2 feet of wiring harness. D'oh No, the fuse never blew. Take that however you will...

good luck

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

IF YOU ARE HANDY W/ELECTRICAL STUFF, A FUSE PANEL WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA, THOUGH A LOT OF WORK. THERE ARE SOME GOOD ARTICLES ON WIRING ON THE 'NET. FIND ONE THAT HAS GENERAL FUSE SIZES FOR EACH ITEM YOU WANT PROTECTED.
          BASICALLY, IF YOU WERE GOING TO REWIRE THE CAR, THEN IT WOULD BE EASIER TO INTEGRATE A FUSE PANEL. I PERSONALLY LIKE HAVING ONE, THUS EVERY CIRCUIT IS PROTECTED, AND IN ONE PLACE. LIKE NATE SAID, HIGH AMPERAGE ITEMS LIKE HEADLIGHTS HAVE CB'S, AND THESE WORK GREAT, AND CAN BE LEFT IN PLACE.

Comment

There IS actualy a "fuse panel" in your Lark. (or should be one!) It's the same little "tab" that your TS flasher plugs into. Only thing is, there's just TWO fuses on it (one for the flasher and one for the stop & dome lites) since, as has been said here, mostly - your protection comes from circuit breakers that simply reset themselves once they cool a bit.

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

the flasher plugs into a loose plug.[:0] It has a clip waaaaay on the top of the dash. Really convenient. The signals are'nt working and I was looking for it.[:I] Switched out the flasher unit and still no signals. Brake lights work, running lights work. Hmmm...

the defroster ducting is really fragile.[B)]

Oh yeah, Mr. Biggs, That little card is what I was looking for. There's one in all my other Larks. Not this one.[:0]

Lotsa Larks!
              Studeclunker
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I don't recall my '62 having the little two-fuse panel either. I believe that the fuse on the back of the headlight switch runs the directional signals however (unless of course, I'm mistaken <G&gt

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                62 Daytona hardtop
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I can't even find my flasher,but I opened the left vent a few times and found mouse evidence,now I wish I didn't look under the dash![62 cruiser]

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                  X