This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So. Bend Report?

I'm out here in sunny Long Beach, CA and was wondering how the swap meet in So. Bend went. It's funny I joked in the Studebaker NG before I left about flying over SB on the way out. Believe it or not around 11:30am on Friday I was on Jet Blue just south of SB at about 34,000 feet and could make out the Fairgrounds, couldn't quite figure out which building SASCO was in. Anyway it looked like real decent weather, mix of sun and clouds, etc. Sorry I missed it, actually I came close, only about six miles away, but at 500 mph it's hard to parts shop! How did it go?

1960 Lark Convertible
    1962 GT Hawk

Well, I spent enough time there for you, at least at the fairgrounds that is. I never had time to get to SASCO.

The weather was great, all the vendors I spoke with reported good sales, the car show had about 100 cars in it, and overall attendance was quite good. The Car Corral had the most in it I have seen for some time, with 3-4 Avantis, and several Hawks from 1956 to the GTs.
    SASCO would be hard to recognize from the air I would guess due to it's size, and among other buildings in that area. If you saw Coveleski Stadium it would have been about 5-6 blocks south.

quote:Originally posted by dpson

I'm out here in sunny Long Beach, CA and was wondering how the swap meet in So. Bend went. It's funny I joked in the Studebaker NG before I left about flying over SB on the way out. Believe it or not around 11:30am on Friday I was on Jet Blue just south of SB at about 34,000 feet and could make out the Fairgrounds, couldn't quite figure out which building SASCO was in. Anyway it looked like real decent weather, mix of sun and clouds, etc. Sorry I missed it, actually I came close, only about six miles away, but at 500 mph it's hard to parts shop! How did it go?

1960 Lark Convertible
    1962 GT Hawk
    Sam Roberts

Comment

This was my first all 'Studebaker' event. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. It certainly wasn't the same size and scope of a Mopar swap meet. But it was very interesting just the same.

The car show was also interesting. There were 5-6 R2 Avanti's and a lot of nice Hawks. There was also a '63 Lark Daytona that was 60-70% completed with no interior in it. This was of the greatest interest to me, as I have just started tearing down my '64 and have not got to the interior yet. Definitely worth the 4 hour drive from Detroit.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Unlike Sam, I spent most of my time at SASCO scoring parts for ebay to pay for the trip. I found 3 NOS crank up antennas in the box, one good used. As usual, came home with stuff I had not been looking for.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        55 Speedster
        50 2R 10 truck
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Well John, had I not been obligated to help the Michiana chapter, I might have snuck in at SASCO myself! My fat butt might not have been as tired Saturday night either that way.

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Unlike Sam, I spent most of my time at SASCO scoring parts for ebay to pay for the trip. I found 3 NOS crank up antennas in the box, one good used. As usual, came home with stuff I had not been looking for.

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          55 Speedster
          50 2R 10 truck
          Sam Roberts

Comment

I hate to see the two flea markets on the same weekend. I noticed SASCO mentioned the fairgrounds in their ad's, but the local chapter did not do the same. If we need two, I'd like to see them work together, not compete. Maybe even set up a shuttle service between the two and the museum. I know many that depended on others for a ride to South Bend were stuck at one place or the other.

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
            55 Speedster
            50 2R 10 truck
            JDP Maryland

Comment

I was disappointed that neither site stayed open later on Friday. By the time I got to South Bend and got settled, it was nearly 4:00 p.m. I went to Sasco and they were closed for the day, then headed over to the fairgrounds and found the place completely deserted.

1965 Studebaker Cruiser

Comment

You sure it was not 5 PM South Bend time when you showed up ? South Bend does not go on daylight saving time.

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                55 Speedster
                50 2R 10 truck
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Actually yes, it was 5:00 South Bend time, but it would've been nice if both had been open that evening. I found that South Bend literally rolls up the sidewalks after 6:00 p.m.--there wasn't anything going on anywhere that I could find. Ended up back at the room by 9:00 watching reruns on TV.

1965 Studebaker Cruiser

Comment

Well, next year you can come to South Bend mid week, and work for Dennis at SASCO, or the Michiana chapter, at the fairgrounds, and take the evening shift! That way you can give the day shift a rest.

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Actually yes, it was 5:00 South Bend time, but it would've been nice if both had been open that evening. I found that South Bend literally rolls up the sidewalks after 6:00 p.m.--there wasn't anything going on anywhere that I could find. Ended up back at the room by 9:00 watching reruns on TV.

1965 Studebaker Cruiser
                    Sam Roberts

Comment

Well heck! Maybe I will![8D]

1965 Studebaker Cruiser

Comment

From this participants point of view, it was a fun weekend.
                        From a vendor point of view, it could have been better.
                        I was at the spring deal a couple years ago and it seems that the SASCO vendor list doubled, and the fairground list was halved.
                        The building at the fairgrounds was only half full (including a whole bus inside).
                        More outside vendors at the fairgrounds than at Sasco.
                        Saw many from Sasco made the dual trip over to the fairgrounds, but not as many fairgrounds people made the Sasco trip.
                        Food at both places was, ehh...ok. Price for food at Sasco was better.
                        Car show at the fairgrounds was nice.
                        Jeff

1960 Lark Convertible
                        1962 GT Hawk
                        DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
                        '61 Hawk
                        '37 Coupe Express
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Dennis at SASCO had to make more room to fit the vendors in, lots of empty spaces at the fairgrounds. Food at SASCO was silly cheap($1.00 for a decent Sloppy Joe)

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                          55 Speedster
                          50 2R 10 truck
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

I talked to many of the vendors at the Fairgrounds, and they all said it was the best for sales in some time. A couple of Indy club guys at SASCO said they were doing well too. The Fairground vendor list was very near last year's total, inside & out. One reason the south end is a lot more vacant now is that Ed Reynolds only takes 4 spaces as opposed to the 20 he used to get. But, the main thing is it was good for all, and the weather was especially so. Maybe for the 2007 Int'l swap meet, and concours, at the Fairgrounds they will have caterers serving food fit for the discerning Studebaker afficianados!

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

From this participants point of view, it was a fun weekend.
                            From a vendor point of view, it could have been better.
                            I was at the spring deal a couple years ago and it seems that the SASCO vendor list doubled, and the fairground list was halved.
                            The building at the fairgrounds was only half full (including a whole bus inside).
                            More outside vendors at the fairgrounds than at Sasco.
                            Saw many from Sasco made the dual trip over to the fairgrounds, but not as many fairgrounds people made the Sasco trip.
                            Food at both places was, ehh...ok. Price for food at Sasco was better.
                            Car show at the fairgrounds was nice.
                            Jeff

1960 Lark Convertible
                            1962 GT Hawk
                            '61 Hawk
                            '37 Coupe Express
                            Sam Roberts

Comment

Well, that's a good thing (vendor wise). I wasn't at SB last year, so it would be unfair to compare. I am looking forward to SB 2007 (and Omaha 2006) as 'drive to' meets. I do hope the coordination between the SNM and the Michiana chapter gets smoothed out. The Michiana gang knows how to do an International meet. It would be very sad to see people getting stubborn over a meeting of hobbyist's. After all, it is just a hobby (except to some vendors)...
                              Jeff[8D]

[quote]Originally posted by Sam Roberts

I talked to many of the vendors at the Fairgrounds, and they all said it was the best for sales in some time. A couple of Indy club guys at SASCO said they were doing well too. The Fairground vendor list was very near last year's total, inside & out. One reason the south end is a lot more vacant now is that Ed Reynolds only takes 4 spaces as opposed to the 20 he used to get. But, the main thing is it was good for all, and the weather was especially so. Maybe for the 2007 Int'l swap meet, and concours, at the Fairgrounds they will have caterers serving food fit for the discerning Studebaker afficianados!

'61 Hawk
                              '37 Coupe Express
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X