This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new (to me) Studebaker

Well, after divesting myself of 2 project Studes of late, I had a relapse of Studebakeritis. I have a soft spot for the sedans and wagons of the mid-fifties and when this thing presented itself to me and begged me to give it a home, I had zero backbone in the "NO!" department. Of course, it didn't help that the wife took one look at it and said: "You better buy it, honey!"
    The surfboard's not mine - it's only there for photogenic enhancement. The car runs and drives but needs it's duals redone and it's gas tank cleaned out. In my years of Studebakering, I can remember seeing maybe 4 or 5 others of these.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

Mr. Biggs, that is great! Now you need to buy the surfboard!

Comment

Yeah, that's the ticket, Mr. Biggs! A week ago I drove 200 miles (round trip) to bid on a pretty light blue one like that at a consignment auction... only to get there and find that the owner pulled it at the last second. Grrr. Congrats... and your wife has a good eye for "unique style".

-Webmaster
      sigpic
      Bob Shaw
      Rush City, Minnesota
      1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
      "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Someone had a blue,56 or 57 2dr for sale at SB.I didn't pay a lot of attention to it,till he drove away and I heard that V-8 stick rumble!! i believe the price was around $1800 ?? You could find the owner by contacting the Michiana chapter

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Wait !!! don't quote me on that price! I looked at way too many cars and walked too many miles yesterday!But it looked like a very solid wagon...

Oglesby,Il.

Comment

[:I]Way to GO Big Guy!!!

steve blake
            steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
            http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

GREAT CAR! Wagons Rule! You do need a surfboard!(everyone does!)

Dallas,Texas

Comment

I think the only number wrong was the 1st one, AIR it was $6,800 but I have slept since then. It was rather nice I can say.

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

Someone had a blue,56 or 57 2dr for sale at SB.I didn't pay a lot of attention to it,till he drove away and I heard that V-8 stick rumble!! i believe the price was around $1800 ?? You could find the owner by contacting the Michiana chapter

Sam Roberts

Comment

Sonny
                  http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

I DO believe you as to toughness, Sonny. Having owned and driven several mid-50s Stude sedans, I can attest to their strength and AND their great ride too! As I think you know, I had and drove a '58 Packard wagon for a time. It was SO cool! And I don't think there was another one in the whole state of Georgia at the time. Last I heard it was still in the hands of the guy I sold it to but it had suffered for 20+ years of sitting outside.

I have the luxury of knowing the history on this Provincial. It was sold new, from a Stude dealer in Sacramento (that's their license plate holder you see on the tailgate) to a female employee of the dealership. This gal kept and drove the thing for THIRTY-FIVE years![:0]
                    Eventually, she parted with it and a college-bound youngster who's dad was a Stude nut, bought it. He drove it to school for 3 years and then retired it to an old garage for the next ten years. Finally realizing he'd probably never do anything with it, he sold it to the fella I got it from, about a month ago. While said fella's a Stude person, he'd bought it strictly to clean up and sell on ebay. He'd offered it to me as soon as he bought it and I said I already had enough Stude as it is.[}] But once he got it cleaned up and took another round of photos......[xx(] I was beaten.
                    BTW, the young fella stumbled upon a find some years ago and benefitted from it nicely. What he heard about was a wrecked 58 Commander 4-dr that had about THREE miles on it when it was totalled! The car was about to be scrapped and the young fella got to scavenge whatever he wanted off the thing. As a result, he lopped off the whole ass end of the body and took the full front clip too. Not to mention lots of trim from both inside and out. All that's included with the car too!
                    I'm dying to get my hands on it. That'll happen before the weeks out. First thing will be to get the rotted dual pipes redone. Then fix the dirty gas tank. While the brakes seem to work, I'll put all new wheel cylinders and a master & hoses just to make the brakes fresh and good.
                    There were roughly 2200 Commander version Provincials built in '58 (259-powered) 58B-P4 and ONE President version (289-powered) 58H-P4 built. In truth, the two would appear the same externally.

Miscreant at large.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Congrats Mr Biggs! It looks like you have a really nice vehicle. Good luck with it.

Lotsa Larks!
                      Studeclunker
                      A.K.A: out2lunch
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

This went to the best home possible. Everyone needs a wagon in their fleet and this can't be beat for style. I'd like to take it home myself, but the surfboard isn't practical in Rochester, NY.

good luck and enjoy,
                        Justin

Comment

Justin, clunker - and the rest - thanks. I'll make it work for it's gasoline.[}] Besides, I'll need something utilitarian to drive when I put our Transtar up for a facelift this summer.
                          The surfboard would be fun if I could get a 20-something Annette Funnicelo to share a beach blanket with me. Alas, I ain't the skinny kid I once was.
                          As it is, I'll settle for a wife that wants me to own this wagon. We've been "hitched" 20 years as of today. Wish I had the wagon here so we could go cruisin' in it later! Maybe next week, eh?

Miscreant at large.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

HAPPY 20TH anniversary Big Guy, go for another 20 with a lady like that who understands the disease!

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Justin, clunker - and the rest - thanks. I'll make it work for it's gasoline.[}] Besides, I'll need something utilitarian to drive when I put our Transtar up for a facelift this summer.
                            The surfboard would be fun if I could get a 20-something Annette Funnicelo to share a beach blanket with me. Alas, I ain't the skinny kid I once was.
                            As it is, I'll settle for a wife that wants me to own this wagon. We've been "hitched" 20 years as of today. Wish I had the wagon here so we could go cruisin' in it later! Maybe next week, eh?

Miscreant at large.
                            Sam Roberts

Comment

Happy 20th Bob!! That wagon is too cool! I hope you guys can make it to Spokane in it. I'm working on the '55 2-door sedan I dragged home a few months ago and hope to drive it across the state to the Meet. (The fenders were rusted out and hood bent to smithereens, so this '55 will have a '57 nose from a parts car)
                              Anyway, Bob, great move getting the wagon...you lucky dog!!

Comment

Working...
                              X