This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan spacing?

well not much of a chalenging question i am sure for some of you stude guy's, but i recently bought a new radiator fan for my 64 lark 289 and it won't mount up to the original spacer which has (guessing) some kind of centrifical spacer or balancer on it, since it free spins when the car is off. i tried to use a aftermarket "universal looking" spacer that was listed for a 60's dodge 318. no luck unless i really messed with it, just wondering if anyone out there has already been through this.

slow64

That "balancer" you speak of is a fan clutch (I call them a jelly clutch) called a viscous fan drive. There ARE spacers to do what you want but they aren't "Universal" in their bolt pattern or center hole size.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

thanks mr. biggs,any ideas on where to get one of these spacers? and is it also a jelly clutch, i am more intrested in a solid spacer. or is it imparative to have the viscous fan drive?

slow64

Comment

I believe SASCO has these. There's actualy different ones to space the fan different distances out. You don't HAVE to have the clutch to run but it makes a big difference in engine noise at speed and probably saves a tiny bit on mileage.

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
        X