This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• original R2 Superhawk

Hello everyone. My father bought his dream car a few years ago, but has since passed away. It is a 1963 Superhawk with the R2 package. It has 20,000 original miles. This car is in very good condition. The only thig that is not original is the supercharger. It was rebuilt by Paxton, has the original housing, still is bright orange but makes more power. My brothers and I dont know If it would be more valuable if we repainted it. The paint is not pristine, it needs some work. What do you guys think? Should we get it repainted "champagne gold", or is it more valuable with the original paint? Also, what do you guys estimate the value of this car to be for a serious collector. Thanks much, Timmy

[:I]Timmy, if the car is solid and in good shape other than the paint, it's probably worth some hefty bucks as is. Are you simply trying to increase its value for immediate resale? Or do you and your brothers plan to keep it? A "show quality" paint job is going to cost you $6K or more, depending on what part of the country you're in.....and that's plus any body work it may need. If you're wanting a good idea of its current value and potential restoration costs, I would recommend you write to JP and send along some good digital pictures. I expect that he's in South Bend at the swap meet right now, but here's his email address: avanti@erols.com
    Those cars are out of reach of most of us. I'd say you had a real treasure on your hands. I'd think twice before selling it, especially if there is any sentimental value at all.

steve blake
    steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

You seem to be mostly concerned with the value of this car. If you want a really nice paint job to make the car better, then paint it. If you intend to sell the car, you will not recover the cost of a really professional paint job. A cheap or poorly done paint job will likely hurt the value. If you and your brothers don't really love this car, and if you are just concerned about value for sale, just put it on eBay the way it is.
      Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Comment

I'm with whacker on this. If your intent is to sell it, the cost of a really right and proper paint job will not be recovered OR will JUST be recovered in the end. I've seen Hawks sold that had 20K worth of work poured into them ONLY to see the same profit margin realized had nothing been done at all. If you're just bent on selling it, let the person that's gonna make a keeper out of it be the one to lavish the moola on it!

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Money is not my concern here guys. This car is quite priceless to me and my family. We plan on having our car and having a great time with it at car shows and all. We just want to get the most value out of it in the future that we can. Trust me guys, we are not eager to sell this car, but inevitably down the road this may happen, and we would hate to hurt the material value by putting newer paint on this amazing car.

Comment

Well, given your intentions, new paint is gonna help it.

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Has your car been verified that it is a Superhawk? Not all 1963 Hawks with an R2, and even other package options, are true Superhawks. It is hard to appraise with the information given, but it sounds like at least $20K.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This car is deffinatly a Superhawk. We have papers and a complete history of the car. Actually, this car was in the Detroit Auto Show, we have papers and numbers to prove everything. Haha it is actually still covered by the factory 24,000 mile Warrenty. Too bad Studebaker isn't arount. I doubt STP would honor the warrenty not that we need much of anything. Just alittle chrome work and paint, it seems.

Comment

I do body and paint for a living. I would much rather buy a car that hasn't been repainted.Simply because the better it looks,the less I can tell whats under the paint!
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Here's my non package R2, it sold for 30K a few months back.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                    55 Speedster
                    50 2R 10 truck
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

DANG JDP... u did a "super" fine job on that beautiful hawk!

Comment

Working...
                      X