This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottle in engine compartment?

hey guys, i am new to owning a stude, but i love my car already. i have a 64 lark 4dr, it has a 289, and i am wondering what is the triangular glass bottle for in the engine compartment? it is mounted on the left front inner fender, it is held in by two clips. the bottle has about a twelve ounce volume. thanks, benny.

It's for storage of extra windshield washer fluid. Many cars of the 60s had this same bottle.[]

Comment

It's nitrous [8D]

ha ha kidding, I do believe a lot of guys use these for windshield washer fluid rather then put in the washer fluid bag that was originally there on several old vehicles.

Comment

there is no reservoir in there, no hoses or washers, why would it be there unless it is just to pull out and dump on the windshield

bdm

Comment

Is there a cap on that bottle? Are there WS washer jets on the hood or cowl?[?]

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by benny_64

there is no reservoir in there, no hoses or washers, why would it be there unless it is just to pull out and dump on the windshield

bdm
            ha ha - yep that's the way it was done back then [] hmm, I suspect maybe the previous owner was in the process of running the plumbing maybe ? Most of us only drive our cars on nice days so during restoration, something like the windshield washer operation tends to get de-prioritized. I know with my '51 I don't have anything hooked up, hell the vacuum wipers don't even work very well.

Comment

better a bottle in the engine compartment where you can use it. Instead of where it was in my grandmother's Caddie.[:I] She (actually the repairman) found one in the left rear quarter panel. Some jokester thought it was funny to tie a coke bottle up there where you could'nt see or get to it.[}] Used to drive the poor old lady crazy. After it was fixed she said that the accident was the best thing that ever happened to that car! That bottle and it's note hung on the wall in my grandparent's family room for years. We all got a laugh out of it.

Lotsa Larks!
              Studeclunker
              A.K.A: out2lunch
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:[i]That bottle and it's note hung on the wall in my grandparent's family room for years. We all got a laugh out of it.
                And the note read?

Dave's Place
                Studebaker Emporium
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

It's been forty years since I last saw the note.[:I] If I can remember right, it said something to the effect of; "Gotcha!! From the bottle bangin baby!"

I have heard of several others like this over the years. So who knows, 'bottle bangin baby' may have worked there quite a while.

Lotsa Larks!
                  Studeclunker
                  Ron Smith

Comment

I heard of a Coke bottle hanging in a quarter panel of a new Plymouth at the dealership that I used to work for. This was one of many fairly common pranks at the factories.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

studeclunker ..... dont laugh about the bottle in the caddy.. i bought a 57 silver hawk with an impact wrench in the door.

Comment

The triangular bottle was for windshield washer solvent *concentrate* - when the regular bag or bottle would run empty, you'd dump a little stuff in from the triangular bottle and then top off with water.

That's actually a fairly desirable accessory... I think GM used the exact same bottle just with a different label so a GM guy doing a 100% correct resto would probably like to have it. I have one off of a parts car that I ought to mount in my car for the coolness factor... except I don't have windshield washers

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

by the way... the impact wrench was from the factory, so i went to S B to order an Avanti II gave it to Nate and told him yall forgot sumthin

Comment

the cool thing about this bottle is that it say's studebaker on it with a date and all the goods. it's stamped for the canada and the u.s. factories.

slow64
                            bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

Soooo... Put it back to work Benny.

Lotsa Larks!
                              Studeclunker
                              Ron Smith

Comment