This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti easy off drums

The rear drums on my R2 are the same configuration as the ones on my parts car except that the inner hub area that fits to the tapered shaft is not attached to the drum, enabling the drums to be removed by hand. There are flat spring washers that fit over the lugs and against the drums. My Avanti was in storage since about 1982, so I know this modification was made before then. I just want to make sure that this isn't a failed aftermarket part from the seventies that was unsafe. Thanks.

charley norton

quote:Originally posted by charley norton

The rear drums on my R2 are the same configuration as the ones on my parts car except that the inner hub area that fits to the tapered shaft is not attached to the drum, enabling the drums to be removed by hand. There are flat spring washers that fit over the lugs and against the drums. My Avanti was in storage since about 1982, so I know this modification was made before then. I just want to make sure that this isn't a failed aftermarket part from the seventies that was unsafe. Thanks.

charley norton
    Heck no, not a thing wrong with having the drums removable Charley. In fact, that's how 99% of other cars are. The little clips that you describe are just there to hold the drum to the hub when you remove the wheel. If you have to pull the drum, the clips usually break or I throw them away anyway, not really needed. The wheel and lug nuts hold the drum on.

In fact, if anyone wanted to make the drums removable on their Stude it's as easy as pressing out the studs, separating the drum from the hub, (they should come apart easily, the studs and a little interference fit between the hub/drum hold them together), a very light touch with the die grinder around the drum center and new studs with the shorter shoulder pressed in and you're all set. No more pulling the hub if you want to service the brakes. I would pull that hub and repack the wheel bearings at least every other brake shoe change or every other year if it sits and doesn't get driven too often. The "book" says to repack them at 25,000 mile intervals, but unless you're using your car as a daily driver, it wouldn't hurt to do it more often.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
    X