This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General resto question about my 55

I was planning on pulling the body off the frame this summer for my 55 resto (frame-off pending) I have done this once before on a 55 parts car and it wasn't bad at all, the body kept its shape very nicely! And no broken glass! I really want to do an A+ job on this car and I think a frame-off would be the best way. I have an over-head crane which make pulling and the body and hopefully putting it back on easy. BTW all glass and doors are taken off, the car is pretty soild, no major rust on body. However I would like to replace the front floors, would it be best to do this while the body is off or on the frame?? Any comments or pointers?

Thanks

(2) 1955 Presidents

Hey 55Pres,
    A frame-off restoration in my opinion sounds like a great way to restore the car the right way. Then you can detail the frame and underside of the car as well. I know that is what my dad and I are deciding to do on our 1960 Lark b/c after a few weeks of digging, we found a bit more rust than we thought we were getting. So, in order to do the car right, we have decided a frame off is in the future. I'm not sure it applies to you since you don't have a convertible, but I know that we will have to brace the body fairly well before pulling it off the frame. Take Care.

PS - did you make the blue band?

Nate

Comment

Nate, yeah I did get into the blue band, it just has to go through admissions, so hopefully I'll be up at UP for next semester. Thanks for feedback as well.

(2) 1955 Presidents

Comment

Sounds good,
        I'd like to see some pictures of your cars. Lord knows Ill have my wall will have a few up. Anyhow, take care and Ill see you in the fall and here on the stude site. Are you planning on going to Washington for the international meet? I think we're going. Anyhow, good luck with the project.

Nate

Comment

I don't have any pics with me at school. When I go home I'll send some your way. When is the stude meet in washington? and where? I'd like to go if I could. Looking forward to meeting you.

(2) 1955 Presidents

Comment

The Studebaker international meet is gonna be in Spokane this year and it starts August 15th and runs a week. The Tursday of that week is the Concours (judging) day if anyone endeavors to see the most cars and trucks. But there's lots and lots of Studebaker parts selling and tailgate storytelling going on all week. [}] I'll be there and I hope to meet some of the attendees of this forum there! There's NOTHING like the total immersion of Studebakering to match an SDC International meet.

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Oh geez.....I was thinking Washington DC.......I'm not going to be able to make that, its a little too far away. Maybe next year

(2) 1955 Presidents

Comment

Mr. Biggs,
                My folks and I are likely to be taking a trip out to the West Coast for the International Meet this year. We will definately be looking for Lark parts. Anyhow, I would also like to meet a lot of the people from this forum b/c I am a younger member and don't know many of the people in the club yet. However, I did notice that your truck made the inside cover of turning wheels this month...nice truck!!! Anyhow, hopefully we'll see you in Spokane. Charlotte was fun last year, South Bend was great b/c of SASCO...came home with a bumper for my car that year, and my first meet was Red Wing. I got to Wisconson with the 1965 Studebaker Commander and then we spun a bearing and got towed the rest of the way...got the hard luck award though. Take care guys. Justin, good luck on the restoration.

Nate

Comment

NAte - Thanks on the truck notice! It's been my main ride since I bought it in '89

Yes, we'll make a point of finding one another (and other's) in Spokane. Should be fun. I've never been to that part of the country. I'm looking forward to it.
                  I'm kinda torn between dragging along a bunch of parts or just enjoying the meet. I stay the whole week and it STILL doesn't seem like enough time to meet with everyone and see all the neat cars and parts and such![V]
                  One thing about vending at a meet is that you're tied to sitting and selling your stuff instead of wandering around and drooling on all the pretty Studebakers![}]

Miscreant at large.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X