This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info Needed on 51 Champion Business Coupe

How would we find out the body # on our car?? And how to do we find out if it was built in CA or South Bend??

And also, how do you tell if its a custom, deluxe or regal??

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

By the way, the car was in the family 25 yrs ago and we just got it back 2 yrs ago...

I believe you can figure all that out from the number on the firewall, (assuming it's still there). Post up the number and someone will likely de-code it for you. I would but don't have my book on hand.

Oh BTW, nice car [8D] Mine is a custom from South Bend

Comment

The "body number" SHOULD BE on an embossed metal tag, right next to the passenger's side, hood hinge. The tag should read something like 10G-Q1 The digit after the "Q" will reveal whether it's DeLuxe, Custom or such. Q1 = Deluxe Q2 = Regal & Q4 = Custom There is no Q3 body. Go figure! The second line IS the body number.
      To decipher where the car was built, the serial # holds that clue. If it starts out "G1" it's a SB car. If it starts out "G8" (or maybe even G9) it's an LA car. If it starts out "G7", it's of Canadian origin!
      IF the body tag's gone, you could get some clues from the trim on the car as to whether or not it's Custom or Deluxe. Custom's had painted HL and TL bezels and had a smaller, round ornament/handle on the trunk lid. They also would have had ONE interior sun visor and one arm rest as standard. Also, steering wheel and horn button were different and the chrome band across the dash didn't extend to the left, across the glove box door. There's other cues too but that oughta narrow it down for you![}]
      Of course, a copy of the production order from the Stude Museum would tell alot too!

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The serial # on the car is.....61081255.......is it possible the the 6 is a G??? considering the 1's look like I's??? We haven't had a chance to look for the body # etc....as soon as we find that out we will post that too.....Thanks for the info so far....its been a big help....

Comment

It's not only possible it's a G, it's GOT to be a G[}] That and the fact that the next digit is a ONE (yes, they DID use capital letter I as a numeral ONE[:0]) proves that it's a South Bend built car.

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

ok...we got the # under the hood........its 10G-04 and the # under it is 1992........so its a custom??

Comment

Yeah, that's 10G- "Q"4, not 04 and that pegs it as a "custom". 1992 simply means it was the 1,992nd 10G-Q4 body that was welded up on the body tub jiggs. It doesn't mean it was the 1,992nd Custom Biz coupe built.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

our cars weren't that far apart, my #is G1071352 also from South Bend.

Also as an FYI, I don't believe the '51 bizzies were built in Hamilton or California, they were such a low production unit that I believe they were only built in the South Bend plant.

Comment

3730 domestic, zero Canada and 34 for export for a total of 3764.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My '51 Biz coupe was built in LA.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant at large.
                      I stand .. or rather sit as corrected .. []

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bandit

Miscreant at large.

Doggone it Bandit, I can't see your picture(s) for some reason!

Sonny
                        Sonny
                        http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Sonny

quote:Originally posted by Bandit

Miscreant at large.

Doggone it Bandit, I can't see your picture(s) for some reason!

Sonny
                          there we go - that look better ... [8D]

Comment

Working...
                          X