X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Identification

Now proud owner of a RHD -63 Hawk.
    It has been restored (of sorts) and runs. Quite a bit of work before rego and road use, though. One annoying problem - I can't find any body or chassis numbers. No vehicle plates anywhere. Not in door openings, not on firewall.
    I got the original (so I'm told) engine, not running, never pulled apart. It has engine no V568952 stamped on block (top, LH frt).
    The engine fitted comes from a Lark (so I'm told), it has engine no V562676. It runs smoothly and seems OK.
    Q1 - Do these engine no's have any meaning other than sequential?
    Q2 - Are there any chassis/body no's hard-stamped into metal somewhere? If so, pls advise where I can find.
    Thanking you in advance,
    / Hank

That engine number is for a 63 259 V8. It makes sense that it would be from a Lark since the US production GT's were 289's, although six'es were made for export.The serial plate should be on the drivers door jamb.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

That engine number is for a 63 259 V8. It makes sense that it would be from a Lark since the US production GT's were 289's, although six'es were made for export.The serial plate should be on the drivers door jamb.

OK, thanks. I take it both my engines are 259's.
      Unfortunately, there's no serial plate to be found. Must have been removed and lost by a previous owner ??
      What about the chassis? Any number stamped anywhere?
      / Hank

Comment

yes on the rear frame crossmember but it was faint to begin with, good luck if you need to read it now

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

As Nate says - there's a "secret" serial# on the last crossmember - aft of the gas tank. As you're under that piece, looking up, the number will be stamped in roughly half inch high digits. But if that crossmember's at all rughly rusted, good luck seeing it. It IS there - and sanding or maybe some naval jelly treatment might work it enough to see the numbers. Some are more faint than others.[V] Watch for rust flakes in your eye![B)]

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Gents,
            Thanks, now that I know where to look I might have a chance of finding something. Really great help and appreciated.
            "US produced GT's had 289 engines" suggests a GT with 259 was produced elsewhere. Where did Studebaker build their RHD models?
            Regards,
            / Hank

Comment

I am not aware of any 259 cu.in. GT's, just 289's or sixes for export. I suspect the engine was swapped from a Lark.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              55 Speedster
              50 2R 10 truck
              JDP Maryland

Comment

All Studebaker engines were built in South Bend. Nowhere else. The exceptions would be the 65-66 cars which used GM engines built in Canada and some trucks thru the years that had various engines of non-Studebaker origin (most notably postwar diesel units and the WWII US6X6 trucks which used a Hercules JXD 6cyl gas engine)
                Even while Stude had assembly plants in Los Angeles and Hamilton Ontario, the engines for their production came out of the South Bend, Indiana facility.
                RHD models would have been built to a degree, in the South Bend plant. Then they were shipped overseas in a semi-kit form that they referred to as CKD (completely knocked down). These "kits" were recieved at various sub-contrator's assembly shops around the world and "assembled" for customers or dealers in those areas. Some plants, such as the one in Australia, had to incorporate a degree of domestic content in the cars they assembled to meet import laws of their country. Either that or pay expensive tariffs.
                It isn't totally out of reason that an export Hawk could have been supplied with a 259 for a powerplant. Stude would readily bend the "rules" a bit if it meant selling another car.

Miscreant at large.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

All US sold 1963 Gran Turismo Hawks had 289 V8s. Models sold outside the US, which yours would be with RHD, were available with 170 six, 259 V8 or 289 V8. When I say 289, I include the base 289 and the R1 and R2 versions. The Studebaker National Museum may be able to come up with the build order based on the engine number on the engine that is supposed to be original to your car. Do you have the serial number that the car is supposed to be? What is on the title/bill of sale/registration?
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

All US sold 1963 Gran Turismo Hawks had 289 V8s. Models sold outside the US, which yours would be with RHD, were available with 170 six, 259 V8 or 289 V8. When I say 289, I include the base 289 and the R1 and R2 versions. The Studebaker National Museum may be able to come up with the build order based on the engine number on the engine that is supposed to be original to your car. Do you have the serial number that the car is supposed to be? What is on the title/bill of sale/registration?
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Gents,
                      The Bill of Sale is a receipt for a Studebaker Hawk 1963 "As Is". The seller claimed he didn't know any numbers, which might be true. I've checked the rear x-member. 1st look didn't help, but I will try to clean up the surface rust and see if anything appears. Were the numbers stamped in any perticular place, say in centre or at rh side or?? I take it the stamping would have been made in the "bottom" of the x-member (stamped up-side-down on a workbench) and not on the flanges?
                      Also, you were able to tell that the engine numbers belonged to 259 engines. Is there a "guide" to de-code these numbers somewhere in this forum?
                      Regards,
                      / Hank

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hank63

Thanks Gents,

Also, you were able to tell that the engine numbers belonged to 259 engines. Is there a "guide" to de-code these numbers somewhere in this forum?
                        Regards,
                        / Hank
                        Look on the SDC main page under "Technical Tips, Specs and Data"

Comment

Hank,

I think you've got the idea.[8D] Just lying on your back, head under the end of the Hawk and looking straight up at said crossmember - the number is right on the bottom - staring back down at you well, maybe looking thru rust-colored glasses.[V]

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Gents,
                            Thank you for your kind assistance. Unfortunately, the numbers are too far gone for my tired eyes. I was able to "de-code" a 5 and a 6 but the rest is not there any more, just some surface rust, not severe but enough to obliterate the stamped numbers.
                            Oh well, over to plan B.
                            Regards,
                            / Hank

Comment

Hank, give that number on the frame one last try. The way I was able to see mine was by using my thumb and white latex paint. Get some paint on your thumb, rub it over the area where the numbers are, keep moving your thumb accross the area and with each pass use a bit more pressure. If there is anything left of the numbers you should be able to make them out. Good luck.
                              Tim K.
                              Tim K.
                              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X