This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Avanti Engine #

I have a 64 Avanti which was originally exported to Europe (Brussels). The engine numer is RK-321 and has a supercharger. Does anyone know if this came with a supercharger from the factory? Also the gauges are Europeanized (KPH, etc)

That number decodes as such: "R"= R1 Avanti engine - "K"=indicates month of October, "3" indicates 1963 and "21" is the 21st day of that month (October) If that engine had COME with a supercharger originally, the "R" would be replaced by "RS".

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's interesting. The metal tag on the passenger side fender well says the following:

Studebaker-Packard Corp.
      South Bend Indiana, U.S.A.
      Impurtateurs Anciens Etablissments
      Dieteren Freres S.A.
      50, Rue du Mail-Bruxelles
      Modele 64-RQ Annee de Fabrication Avanti
      Chassis No. R5619 Moteur No. RK321-3

Additionally, the guages have chrome rings and black faces. What do you make of this?

Comment

Comment on gauges--I believe that what you have (black faces and chrome rings) is the standard arrangement for gauges--at least it is on '63 Avantis. Or do I miss the intent of your question?

Comment

Your Avanti (R5619) was very near to the end of Studebaker Avanti production. R5643 was the last Studebaker Avanti produced. (Some early prototypes were renumbered with higher numbers.) You can buy a factory build sheet for your car from the Studebaker National Museum and know exactly how your car was built, when it was built, where it was shipped to, etc.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks - I just ordered one from the Stude Museum. I was hoping someone might know why there are 'non-standard' chassis, and engine numbers. For instance engine numbers are usually R-XXXX or RS-XXXX NOT RK-XXX. Also the chassis tag says it is an 64-RQ model not 64-R1 or 64-R2 or ...

Comment

The engine coding changed for the '64 models. That's why it's different than what you expected to see. But the "RK" are factory numbers. Go back to my first response to you. That's why I decoded it - so you'd understand what it meant. Prior to '64 it would have bore either an R or RS and then a sequential number thereafter. Starting with 64 tho, all of a given type of engine that was built on the same day would have carried the same exact number on these engines. Consequently, ALL R1 Avanti engines that were built on October 21st of 1963 would carry the same serial number.
              And I believe 64RQ IS correct. There was no designator as to engine option in the serial#

Miscreant at large.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

OK I get it. I didn't realize that the convention changed in 1964. The car has a stock S/C and 4-speed.

Comment

test

Miscreant at large.

Comment

The 3 suffix on the engine number identifies that engine as the third one produced for export on that day. The suffix numbers were only used on engines for export.

Dwain G.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain,
                      Noting my respect for your vast knowledge of things Studebaker, I have to ask if you're intimating that the Avanti Parts book is wrong? It indicates that export engines would have a PREfix digit(s) in front of the regular '64 engine number to set them apart from those for domestic production. For example, if the engine in question here was the 12th Avanti R1 engine built on October 21st of 1963, it's engine # should read 12RK321. No?
                      Kinda goofy that they bothered to keep sequential track of export engine production, but not Domestic.[)]

Miscreant at large.

Comment

I will be damned! Now this is interesting. First I looked at my Avanti Parts Catalog to see what it says. Yes, it shows prefix numbers used on export engines. Next I looked at my '59-'64 Studebaker Chassis Parts book to confirm that it shows a suffix number(s) used on export engines. Curious now, I next look in the '59-'64 Body Parts Catalog, and find a REVISED page VI with information on the PREFIX numbers. It happens I have retained the old pages that were replaced by the revised pages, and the original page VI shows SUFFIX numbers. So that's that with that! Thanks for catching it Bob!

Dwain G.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Heh-heh It don't get no weirder than that, eh?[] As I've noted before, the editors of the parts manuals didn't ALWAYS catch the goofs![V]
                          I've caught several gaffs in the books thru the years, Dwain. My favorite one is the page in the truck parts book that shows the cabs are fastened to the frame where the front motor mounts go! And this goof persisted thru successive volumes of truck parts books[:0]!
                          Maybe whovever did that particular illustration had cabovers on the brain[)]

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Working...
                          X