This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I start?

I just purchased a 1949 Land Cruiser. It needs total restoration. I am looking for places to obtain missing parts etc. I was also curios to know how many of these were built, or where I can go to find out. thanks

Jewood, welcome to the answer place. Virtually any question you have about the vehicle can be found here. Check out the links for vendors for your parts needs. Contact the Stude Museum for a production order and ask any dumbass question that comes to mind. I do. And someone has an answer as a rule. Enjoy, Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Comment

Kevin's right! We thrive on questions here![] For 1949, there were 14,390 Regal Deluxe Land Cruisers built. If you'll tell me the serial#, I can tell you if it was built in South Bend or in Los Angeles. Various Stude vendors will help with parts. Mechanical parts especially. For trim stuff, you'll be watching ebay and attending Stude swap meets. There should be ALOT of '49 stuff around. 1949 was a banner year for sales at Studebaker. And this car shares MUCH of it's makeup with other 49 Commanders. The only REAL difference is the 4 extra inches of wheelbase and rear seat compartment length and all the parts associated with that difference in wheelbase. We's here to answer questions![:0]
      I almost forgot - the issue of Turning Wheels that deals with the '49 cars is the June 1990 issue.
      [^]

Miscreant at large
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here is the info that I have on the car. Vin number is 4-365250. Model 16ACOMM, weight is 3325, body type is 45Type T. I bought this car for my dad. He has always had a love for studebakers. His first mode of transportation was a 49 pickup with the 327 v-8. He later had a 54 2 door wagon that my mom gave away!! So when I found this one I thought it would be something we could restore together and he would have a stude once again. Thanks for all the responces to my first post you guys really know who to make a guy feel welcome!!

Comment

Yeah, this is a South Bend built car. That body type # must be some code from the state DMV or such. It has no meaning as far as Studebaker's numbers regarding body type.

16A means a 1949 Commander Y5 would be the body code for a Land Cruiser. There should be a stamped tag on the firewal, near the pass. side hood hinge that has16A-Y5 on it. Below that there's another number that shows where your car stands in the sequence of 16A-Y5 body weld-up. However, whatever number you see there, this is not an accurate indicator of where your car stands in the sequence of Commanders built. This is because the body tubs were welded up well ahead of assembly line needs and then used on the assembly line without regards to the sequence in which the bodies were previously wleded up. Does that make sense to you?

These 47 thru 50 Commanders are GREAT road cars. Really comfy and adequate power. The 3-sped Overdrive tranny is about as versatile a standard shift gearbox as there is.
          What part of the US are you in? [?]

BTW - joining SDC and a local chapter thereof, can be a genuine asset for a "babe-in-the-woods" Stude owner. The monthly magazine - Turning Wheels - affords a wealth of info regarding the parts sources, technical help and club activities around the globe. Well worth the $27.50 to sign up!

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I am in Casper WY. I the car is currently in Montana. I will e picking it up sometime in the next month. I already have found a parts car sitting in the weeds near our ranch, so I need to go find out if the people would like to sell it or have someone haul it of for them. I will check into the SDC and see if there is a local chapter here. Thanks

Comment

jewood,
              We are having a meeting in Casper on Apr. 16 in an attempt to start a WY chapter of the SDC. It is at the Parkway Plaza Hotel, I-25 & N. Center @ 1:00 Pm. Hope to see you there. If you want more info mailed to you e-mail me. jimsavanti@vcn.com.
              Speed_Machine
              28 Cottonwood Dr.
              Sheridan, WY 82801

Comment

Hey! A new chapter! Such a deal. You'll be dealing with my friend, Leigh Morris of SDC. He's the chapter charter guy.

Jewood - you're gonna make a FINE Stude person. That bit you said: "or have someone haul it of for them." - that's evidence that you're prime Stude person material! Stude folks pride themselves in being chea.. ah, frugal. NEVER offer money when there's the scent of FREE in the air![8D]
                When you've been sniffing out Studes for years as I have, you learn to slant your approach so as to give the mark the notion that they'd be doing the world a favor if they simply GAVE you that Stude that Grampa parked in the (pick one - garage, weeds, front yard) 30 years ago.

"No mam - these old Studebakers ain't worth NUTHIN'! Can you imagine how hard it is to find parts for a car what ain't been built fer 50 years? Why this would be the 10th one of these I've hauled home in the past three years. I'm hopin' if I gets enough of them I'll be able to put at least ONE whole Studebaker together in honor of my dear sweet, departed Grandpappy! Geez - the stories he used to tell about his days courting my sweet grandmother in his old Studeebaker!"

Have a hankie ready for the gal to dab the tears away before she begs you to take the car and honor your kin with it!

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Working...
                X