X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Studebaker Lark Convertible

Hey Guys,
    I'm new on the site here but have been a club member for about 5+ years. I am just about 21 and I own a 1965 Studebaker Commander. The car is very special to me as it was my first car and I am only the second owner. However, we had a problem up until about a week ago - we were a one-Studebaker family. Well, I'm really excited because last week we bought a yellow 1960 Studebaker Lark Convertible off of ebay. Some of you may have seen it. We talked with the owner over the phone and found that he was actually a SDC member. We didn't get the car yet, so I havn't done a detailed inspection but it should hopefully be at our house next weekend when I get home from college. Anyhow, what I know about the car is it has teh 259 V8, AM radio, and Automatic transmission. I will be sending more information when I get a chance to go over the car. I was told the top is manual...was power top an option? Also, how difficult is it to find, and add, power steering and brakes to this car. Anyhow, I was so excited about the car, had to tell all of my SDC friends about it. God Bless.

Nate

Yeah, I saw that ragtop on ebay. Just like mine - color and all. Thing is, there weren't any manual tops on Larks. It wasn't an option either. ALL LArk ragtops had power tops - period. It isn't hard to find the power operation pieces tho.
    It's not that hard to round up the power steering stuff for the car. Not that hard to find the PB bits either. Watch ebay - attend local Stude meets and hit jumkyards that still have a Stude or two in their inventory. You'll find the stuff eventually.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Congrats on purchase of the '60 Lark Convertible, like Bob I also have one just like it (Yellow, V-8 Auto, etc.) except mine is still in parts and pieces awaiting reassembly. If I had it to do over I'd have bought one like you did and be enjoying it. It would have been cheaper in the long run. I am converting mine to power steering and picked up the whole set up out of a parts car. If you find one be sure to make a template for the holes in frame to mount the power ram bracket. Bob is correct that these all had power tops. I suspect some component, such as the pump motor, is at fault. Almost all the power top components are available with a little searching. Keep us posted as to how you like the car.

1960 Lark Convertible
      1962 GT Hawk
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Actualy, ALL the necesssary components of the power top works can be bought new. I had to buy new cylinders for mine - they were corroded thru from the inside. Likewise with the hoses and pump motor. The harness from the switch to the motor might be available new but then, it's only TWO wires - you could make your own. I've seen the NOS top control switches of late but even that could be fudged with a spring-loaded toggle switch.
        I bought my cylinders and hoses from Hydro-elelctric (they advertize in many old car magazines) They had them in stock.
        While my pump motor was all there, it didn't do anything. I took it all apart, cleaned the grunge that that damned brake fluid had caused (yes - they used BRAKE FLIUD! - what a mess!) and reassembled it. Then I used Dexron-Mercon to refill the system and it's worked good for 18 years now![^]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yea, I definately am excited to get the car out and drive it. What happened here is that the car is in my mother's name (its her car), my dads paying for it b/c he likes keeping her happy, and I will be driving it b/c I love Studebakers...haha. What we are going to do is make a list of all the things we'd like to fix/upgrade and prioritize them but we will definately be driving it a lot this year. Im keeping my fingers crossed that it gets here next weekend. I will let you guys know the details of it then.

Nate

Comment

Well...its here. Friday night when I got home from school, there was the Lark sitting in the garage waiting for attention. Let me say that it is a very nice car that I am excited to start working on. The car is nice but will need some TLC. The wiring needs to be fixed up a bit. There are some loose wires under the dash so I plan on tracing them to see where they come and go. I need to fix the windows b/c they go up hard/not at all and need seals. I also want to get the top working and fix the heater box. For bigger projects next winter, I think my dad and I will be redoing some of the floor. It is not bad, but there is rust there. I guess 40 years and being a convertible, some water got in there. The good about the car...I drove it briefly and it shifts beautifully. The engine has lots of power for a 259. The trunk looks good with minimal rust...no holes. The rear fenders of the car are great. It looks very good. Te interior is nice and has the fully reclining seats. There is a wire going between the two front seats and Im not sure why that is there or where it goes. The top looks good. I am very exited to just start driving this car and fixing problems on the weekends piece by piece. Great car and Im happy to add it to our Studebaker collection. Just wanted to let you guys know what I found so far...have a great week all.

Nate

Comment

By the way guys, I forgot to add the serial number hoping if some one could maybe ID the car better for us. The serial is 60V13083. Thanks, Nate

Comment

I suggest that you get a shop manual before you start doing too much.
                A greasy old one is better than a nice clean new reproduction.

If you do net a repro, I suggest that you break it down by sections and end up with a few 1/4" booklets instead of a 2" thick brick.

You local Kinkos-equivalant may be able to suggest the best way to bind the thin ones.

If you go loose-leaf, you can use a magnet to hold the single page you need to the car while you work on it, instead of bringing over the whole book.

sumf

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studenut65

Well...its here. Friday night when I got home from school, there was the Lark sitting in the garage waiting for attention. Let me say that it is a very nice car that I am excited to start working on. The car is nice but will need some TLC. The wiring needs to be fixed up a bit. There are some loose wires under the dash so I plan on tracing them to see where they come and go. I need to fix the windows b/c they go up hard/not at all and need seals. I also want to get the top working and fix the heater box. For bigger projects next winter, I think my dad and I will be redoing some of the floor. It is not bad, but there is rust there. I guess 40 years and being a convertible, some water got in there. The good about the car...I drove it briefly and it shifts beautifully. The engine has lots of power for a 259. The trunk looks good with minimal rust...no holes. The rear fenders of the car are great. It looks very good. Te interior is nice and has the fully reclining seats. There is a wire going between the two front seats and Im not sure why that is there or where it goes. The top looks good. I am very exited to just start driving this car and fixing problems on the weekends piece by piece. Great car and Im happy to add it to our Studebaker collection. Just wanted to let you guys know what I found so far...have a great week all.

Nate
                  Congrats Nate! Sounds like a nice little car. Hopefully you get to keep on driving it while you take care of the little nit-noy stuff that always keeps ya busy on an old car. Can we see some pictures? That would be nice! Thanks in advance!

Sonny
                  Sonny
                  http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
                  X