This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight-o-matic parts

The flight-o-matic in my wife's 1962 Hawk doesn't seem to have much uumpphh. It often won't go into reverse either. I would like to change to filter screen and oil pan gasket. Does anyone have any NAPA part numbers for these items?

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the transmission won't sometime go into reverse?

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

I take it you have checked fluid level? No "uumph"? I would think you could tell if it was slipping when you accelerated. Sounds like something's tired inside.[V]
    The NAPA/Microtest #s are 3462 for the screen and 1-4423 for the pan gasket[^]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the part numbers. I'd like to replace the screen filter and the fluid after I've tried some type of "transmission repair in a can". Only thing is, before I can even put any of that in, I will have to drain some of the fluid out. I have checked the fluid and its right where its suppose to be. Of course as I recall, flight-o- matics were never really very ummpphhyy!! I'm primarily concerned about it only going into reverse intermittently.

If its tired and worn out inside I guess I will have to find a transmission shop (Lord help me!!!) to do the work. Not sure if I want to tackle transmission repair.

Comment

Find a small shop that has someone that knows older Ford Automatics since the Stude was a Borg Warner and that is what older Fords used. Or a guy that works on older Europeon cars since many of the used B/W tranny's.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

Yeah. I'm not "Ford Conversant" but I understand it was their C4 tranny that was closest. Really, the internals are the same in many respects. The input shafts and the valving are different of course.
          I know if you just walk into a tranny shop and ask them if they'll work on your Studebaker's automatic - they will stutter and stammer excuses not to.[8] But usually, if they just SEE the tranny without hearing the word "Studebaker" mentioned, they're much more receptive!
          Of course, that's not the case with the earliest of Stude automatics (the DG series that was used from 1950 to '55 (and some '56 Champions too). It's just plain tough to find anyone in a tranny shop who's ever even SEEN one. But there are a few veteran tranny guys who know what they are still. You just have to search to find them.
          I just had two FOM torque convertors rebuilt by a shop in the LA area. Had them modified to be high stall convertors. The two of them cost me $330 bucks to have built.

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mjeansonne

Thanks for the part numbers. I'd like to replace the screen filter and the fluid after I've tried some type of "transmission repair in a can". Only thing is, before I can even put any of that in, I will have to drain some of the fluid out. I have checked the fluid and its right where its suppose to be. Of course as I recall, flight-o- matics were never really very ummpphhyy!! I'm primarily concerned about it only going into reverse intermittently.

If its tired and worn out inside I guess I will have to find a transmission shop (Lord help me!!!) to do the work. Not sure if I want to tackle transmission repair.

The product that I've had great luck with is "Trans-X", in the pint can. I add it and drive for a few hundred miles then drain all of the tranny fluid. Remember, your Studebaker has the neat ability to drain the torque converter built right in. There's a pipe plug in the converter that you will have to line up with the hole in the bellhousing to drain it, but by all means, drain the converter.

I find my Fliteomatics very responsive, if I put it in the "L" position when I start out. When you leave in "D" for starts, unless you have a higher ratio rear end, the fact that it starts in second gear makes it seem, "soft" during the take off. Your Hawk probably has "highway" gearing, (i.e., 3.07).

Have you tried to mechanically adjust the transmission yet? It may just need band adjustments, (although adjusting the bands may just be prolonging the inevitable ).

Sonny
            Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

I've rebuilt several borgwarner trannys, and their operation and symptoms are similar to other more common automatics. I would first check to see if I had low one engine braking. Put it in low one and wind it out and see of you have engine braking when you let off the gas. This tells you if the low reverse band is operational. If this problem is intermittent, you probably have shrunken seals on the low reverse band servo; not a big deal.

Comment

What should one look for when dropping the pan on a FOM? I'll be doing that this weekend to replace a leaky pan gasket, I ASSume I should adjust the bands, anything else?

thanks,

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                62 Daytona hardtop
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                X