Studebaker-Packard Employee's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker-Packard Employee's

I know we have few Studebaker dealers here and there son's and daughter's, After reading another post I got this idea to ask how many of you worked for Studebaker-Packard in the factory? Got any good stories to share? And for Leonard and myself, would you have any photo's to go along with it!

Randy_G
    South Bend or Bust 2007!
    God I miss chrome on cars.
    This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

I didn't, but my Dad worked there in 1950-51 until he joined the Air Force and went to Korea. He installed the back seat and the dashboard. He always said he didn't much care for it. He said that it was so disorganized that guys would come in for their shift at Studebaker, punch in, leave the building and go work at the Oliver plant. Just how the hell could they get away with something like that? He could never figure it out either.[V]

Comment

I didn't, but my Dad worked there in 1950-51 until he joined the Air Force and went to Korea. He installed the back seat and the dashboard. He always said he didn't much care for it. He said that it was so disorganized that guys would come in for their shift at Studebaker, punch in, leave the building and go work at the Oliver plant. Just how the hell could they get away with something like that? He could never figure it out either.[V]

Comment

While I never worked at the factory as it was shut down before my time, two generations of my family worked for Studebaker. My grandfather, Harry Jacobs, started with Studebaker in the 1940s as a test driver of the weasel at the proving grounds. After the war, he went the the plant and worked in metal finishing, dept 308. During the 50's he played in the Studebaker band and spent time as a union steward. My uncle Woodrow was a wood pattern maker during the late 50s through the end of production in South Bend. He spent a lot of time working on the Avanti project. My father was a plant electrician from the early 50s to the time the plant shut down.

Comment

While I never worked at the factory as it was shut down before my time, two generations of my family worked for Studebaker. My grandfather, Harry Jacobs, started with Studebaker in the 1940s as a test driver of the weasel at the proving grounds. After the war, he went the the plant and worked in metal finishing, dept 308. During the 50's he played in the Studebaker band and spent time as a union steward. My uncle Woodrow was a wood pattern maker during the late 50s through the end of production in South Bend. He spent a lot of time working on the Avanti project. My father was a plant electrician from the early 50s to the time the plant shut down.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudHawk60

It's no wonder they ran out of money when they were paying folks who didn't do anything.[:0]

John Clements
            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
            Lockleys South Australia
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudHawk60

It's no wonder they ran out of money when they were paying folks who didn't do anything.[:0]

John Clements
              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
              Lockleys South Australia
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I worked there for three weeks in 1959, got laid off and went back to college. One of the best things that ever happened to me. My father and father-in-law both had over thirty years at Studebaker.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
                55 Speedster (in work)
                63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
                64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
                64 Avanti R2 (completed)
                85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
                89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

I worked there for three weeks in 1959, got laid off and went back to college. One of the best things that ever happened to me. My father and father-in-law both had over thirty years at Studebaker.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
                  55 Speedster (in work)
                  63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
                  64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
                  64 Avanti R2 (completed)
                  85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
                  89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

I made Studebaker bumpers at Rockwell Standard outside of South Bend In.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                    64 Daytona HT
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
                    63 Avanti R1
                    63 Daytona convert
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    63 Lark 2 door #2
                    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    60 Lark HT
                    60 Hawk
                    59 3E truck
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I made Studebaker bumpers at Rockwell Standard outside of South Bend In.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                      64 Daytona HT
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
                      63 Avanti R1
                      63 Daytona convert
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      63 Lark 2 door #2
                      62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      60 Lark HT
                      60 Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

"God I miss chrome on cars."

Was in getting the Sorento serviced the other day and noticed the new Kia Magentis and others have real metal chrome door handels,and chrome "spears" running along the bottom of the doors.
                        Incidently,after 56k Im still impressed as hell with this Sorento,if it stays as good as its been Ill be getting another.
                        Their the real deal,have a look

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I didn't have a magnet with me,but it sure looked like metal chrome.

Comment

"God I miss chrome on cars."

Was in getting the Sorento serviced the other day and noticed the new Kia Magentis and others have real metal chrome door handels,and chrome "spears" running along the bottom of the doors.
                          Incidently,after 56k Im still impressed as hell with this Sorento,if it stays as good as its been Ill be getting another.
                          Their the real deal,have a look

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I didn't have a magnet with me,but it sure looked like metal chrome.

Comment

Working...
                          X