This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Commander

I recently bought a 66 commander in great shape with no rust and no body work needed, it was all original as well. I'm trying to find out just general information about them because I haven't been able to find anything on the internet. Stuff like how many were made, how many are still around, that kinda stuff. Any kind of info would be of great help.

~Tyler Recker~

First and most importantly, join the studebaker drivers club.[8D] Then back issues of turning wheels will supply that information. It has been a treasure trove for me. Also Studebaker International in Greenfield In. has a book on Larks that might tempt you. You say Larks! Yes. your car is a Lark. The frame your Commander is based on is almost identical to a 1959 Lark. Anyway sorry about running on so, I just Love Larks! So, to recap:

1. Studebaker International
    97 North 150 West, Greenfield, In 46140-8562
    (317)462-3124 fax (317)462-8891

2. Studebaker Drivers Club (Turning Wheels magazine)
    The information for this is on the home page

3. That tempting little Lark book.

Good luck with your Commander. I have two '64 wagons and I love them. Also a '63 Daytona wagon and Commander parts car. As well as a four door '62, two '62 Champ pickups and a 52 Commander that I am wondering how I ended up with.[:I] If you know anyone who would like a '52 commander let me know.

lotsa larks!

Ronald K. Smith

Comment

by the way, after all that blabbering, I forgot...[:I]
      Welcome to the club!

Lotsa larks!

Ronald K. Smith

Comment

Probably the BEST synopsis of the '66 models was the feature by Auto writer, Fred Fox, that was the heart of the October '86 edition of SDC's club magazine, Turning Wheels. [^]
        If you'll tell me whether your 66 is V8 or 6 - powered and how many doors it has, I can give you the number of how many were built.
        Sadly, production was stopped on March 16th of 1966.[V]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's a V8 4-door with an automatic transmission.

~Tyler Recker~

Comment

Out of a total of 8,935 1966 Studebakers built (that's ALL models), 4,648 were V8 cars. Of those V8 cars, 1,368 were Commander 4-dr sedans. Of the 5 V8 models offered, your Commander 4dr was the second most numerous behind the Crusier 4dr. The rarest of the V8s is the Commander 2dr.[8D]

There's really no way to tell how many are left today. There's no "roster" being kept for 66s and certainly not all that are still around are owned by club members whereby they might be accounted for.[V]

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
            X