This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! no... HELP!!!!! Throwout bearing

The book describes this as the "clutch pilot bearing".
    The book isn't too clear on this. Do I place this in the bell housing first or on the trans. pinnon shaft? which side faces to the rear?[:0]

HELP!!!![:0]

Ronald K. Smith

Ok. Nevermind...[:I] I think I figured it out. [8)] The spring clips go into the holes on the pusher things. Right?[)] I need a book like, Studebaker shop manual for dummies. Lotsa pictures, must have lotsa pictures...[)]

Thanks anyway...[:I]

Ronald K. Smith

Comment

Now All I have to do is get the tranny to wiggle into place.[}] Sigh... I was never cut out to be a mechanic....[:I]

Ronald K. Smith

Comment

Ronald - did you use a clutch alignment tool when you installed the clutch and pressure plate or were you just installing a new throwout bearing? If you've had the clutch plate and pressure plate out, you had to have used an alignment tool upon reinstallation of them in order to be able to reinstall the tranny![}]
        You've got it right that the bearing goes onto the "fingers" on that shaft in the bellhousing. The spinning face of the bearing faces forward, so as to work against the pressure plate's 3 arms.
        As far as the tranny going in, the splines on it's input shaft have to align with the splines in the clutch plate before the tranny will go all the way in. If you're just pressing the tranny forward and turning it a bit to try and engage those splines, nothing's gonna happen because the tranny's just spinning around it's own shaft. You need to pull it back a bit before each insertion attempt so that the shaft actualy changes it's orientation a bit with respect to the clutch plate.
        If you think the "experts" have a better time at it, you should have seen me wrestling with a T-85 under a Champ truck a few months back. I got it in eventually - but I was exhausted when I finally had success! Thankfully, it's not something you have to deal with on a regular basis![xx(]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
        X