This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy Valve Conversion

I have found a V-8 engine from a 1958 Transtar Deluxe that is running to replace the 259 V-8 in my 1963 Champ which is frozen and won't turn. I have heard about the the Chevy Valve Conversion and may consider it when upgrading the new heads to hardened valves and valve seats. What is necessary to accomplish such a conversion and what, if any, benefits can I expect?

Better breathing is the result but I'd just go with R3 Stude valves and forget the hardened seats. Stude engines do not need the hardened seats. You're just adding 16 more parts to the engine and extra dough to the machine shop's till.[}]
    Oh, and you have to cut down the rocker stands to use the Chevy valve train. Not so with the Stude valves. IF you think you're going to be regularly spinning it up past 5 grand, you can save a bit of valve train weight with the Chevy conversion. You can use aluminum VW pushrods to help in that respect also.[:I]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have had two chevy valve conversions done, One with hardened seats and one without (for my R1). The only reason I had the one with is for my turbocharged setup that I am working on. The hardened seats are not really necessary on a regular engine. The one without was really not much more than the R3 conversion since both take a bit of work. The nice thing abou the chevy valves is that you have a good deal of choice of what kind of valve to use. I got the SS Manley Proflo valves with Teflon valve stem seals. I had Dave Levesque do mine and he did a port and polish at the same time.

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Doesn't the bore need to be at least 30 over to have enough clearence for the larger valves?

53commander HDTP
        53 Champion HDTP
        64 Champ long bed V8
        64 GT
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
        X