Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok nate I have the tags on the 62 champs...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok nate I have the tags on the 62 champs...

Ok Nate I have the tags on the 62 champs in front of me. The short bed has 47-11 (top line) 4.27 (bottom) the long bed has 45-11 (top) and 4.09 (bottom). Being that the numbers don't match, I assume that just swapping the rear ends would be a mistake. Also they have completely different transmissions. I am willing to use the long bed as a parts truck as it has a floor like swiss cheese. The short bed is amazingly intact. It has more serious body damage and lots of bondo though. Nothing that can't be fixed. Excuse me please for sounding like a complete ignoramus. I'm just new to all of this. Any comments from anyone are appreciated.

Ronald K. Smith

You can still swap rearends....use the 4:09 , better hyway gear for you.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

those numbers just indicate the gear ratio, I think a 4.09 would be fine with a V-8, and if nothing else the tranny in the V-8 truck should have the correct speedo drive gears for that rear so you might as well just use it and be happy. the other rear would give you a little more low end grunt but at the expense of top speed/comfortable cruising.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I have to agree. You can get by just fine with either rear axle ratio. I've had both 4.09 and 4.27 under my 57 Transtar (V8 W/OD) and can hardly tell the difference in performance either way.

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the help. The 4.27 is dead. So I will have to trade with the 4.09. I just wanted to know it it was compatible with what is currently in it. I figured on possibly keeping the 170/6 in it for now till I can rebuild the 289/8. So for now I'm just going to switch and see how it all works together.

Ronald K. Smith

Comment

Working...
          X