This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myers Studebaker

I'm going to take a wild shot and see if anyone out there knows of Myers Studebaker that was in Winooksi, Vermont. Archie Myers was the dealership owner. I'm tyring to find someone who may know Archie Myers, or have known him. My 64 GT Hawk was purchased there in Sept/Oct 1963. After about 3 years of ownership, I've finally gotten serious about researching the history of my GT, after a few earlier attempts. I had the name of the first owner, as the service record was still in the glovebox, with the name and Vermont phone number of the owner. The number was disconnected, but I eventually located a cousin with the same last name who was intrigued with my search. Short story....original owner and his wife are living in Southwest Florida, owned the car for about 2 years (no accident, 20K miles, great shape when sold, except heater not up to Vermont winters) and he sold it back to the dealer, Archie Myers, who he thinks put it into a warehouse. Fast forward to the late 80's, it's in the collection of a Mike Hayden of Stowe VT who won a trophy with it in 1989, until about 1997, when it was purchased by the guy I bought it from. Somewhere along the line it picked up at least 50,000 miles and some wear & tear. Somethings were done to the car that I would like to learn more about (not sure if original equip, etc) I'm trying to fill in from about 1966 - 1989. I believe Mr. Hayden has passed away, but not sure. I'm sensitive about invading privacy; I'd appreciate any tips, and if anyone has specific contact info, please email me at RHM7447@aol.com Thanks!
    Hank

Well Hank, while it doesn't ALWAYS yeild much insight, you might start by getting a copy of the production order for your Hawk from the Studebaker Museum. That'll show how it was fitted out when it left the factory. It MAY show if the car was a special order and where it was destined for. But there's no guarantee to that point. Often, when car was built for stock, there's no info recoded as to where it went to or when. [^]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hank,
      I knew Archie for years, but not all that well. A couple years ago I had the good fortune to purchased the remainder of his Studebaker parts inventory from his estate (wife & son). Sadly his son threw out his sales records just before I bought the parts, he didn't think anyone would be interested in them. Anyway if there is something I can help with let me know.
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT

1960 Lark Convertible
      1962 GT Hawk
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Dan, I had the very same situation with two dealers out here in CAlifornia. In both cases, sales records were tossed prior to parts being sold! And with one - I was REALLY hoping that they had records of a car that was sold new by them (two cars actualy) that I have today.
        There was promise of them being extant when I talked to the widow of the dealer. But I later found that sonny boy had been steadily clearing out Mom's estate prior to this. ARRGHH![xx(]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob,
          It is sad that the sales record got tossed out like that. It's sort of like someone saying; we're sorry but we destroyed all your family history because we didn't think anyone would be interested.

BTW It's about 10 below zero here @ 5 PM, metal on bare skin feels like 20 below. God I love this country, why my ancestors stayed here is beyond me.....how is it out your way?

1960 Lark Convertible
          1962 GT Hawk
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Damn! Dan! Even tho I once lived in such a clime, I would never go back to living there again. It's been gloomy gray here for almost 3 weeks straight. I can drive 20 minutes and bask in the sunshine of the foothills to my east. But this bowl of a valley we live in stays cloudy or foggy from November to March. At least it's 54 here today. Not bad at all out just kinda damp. By May, it'll be in the 90s or 100s from one o'clock til 5 or 6. Sun and lots of it!
            I actualy worked outside a bit this afternoon. Trying to get some Stude parts off the back porch.

As to the tossed records, I've found that the local historical museums aren't very anxious to take such stuff - EVEN THO - it's a small record of what's gone on here over the years.
            The Local Library, here in our town, turned down a nearly complete collection of local newspapers dating back to 1860! They figured that since they had a copy of most of them on Microfische, they didn't need to bother with the real thing. In a way I understand. But if you saw the almost unreadable microfische records, you'd groan to think that those old papers went to landfill. Which they did.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Working...
            X