Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker Scale Models (incredible detail)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Scale Models (incredible detail)

I came across this recent post on the 1:43 scale model car forum of diecast.org. I understand the '62 Studebaker Lark is made by a company called Highway Travelers but is anyone familiar with the green '64 Stude Wagonaire in the photo?

Also, has anyone seen the 1958 Packard Hawk by Bruce Arnold Models? It seems there is a whole world of highly detailed 1:43 scale Studebaker models out there. I have a feeling they aren't cheap though.

Chris C

I would like to find a dicast stude hawk cpe.(1957 to 1961) No one seems to make one. If anyone knows of any, let me know.
    Jeff
    Jeff Sheaffer
    Driving the past into the future

Comment

Very nice models Chris. I have to start collecting more Stude models. Thanks for the link!

Sonny
      Sonny
      http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Jeff, You point up a complaint I have about Stude models. Every damned 53 and up car the model-makers turn out are of the K-body (hardtop) cars! The C-body (coupes) are every bit as appealing to the eye and yet all the model makers ignore them.
        We've got models of just about every pre and immediate post war truck we could want. Where's the C-cabs????? Heck, the Johnny Lightning series even did a Champ. But NO 2Rs or Transtars of any sort. Well, save for the tiny and expensive renditions from the Shrock Bros. I'd like one I can see without putting my specs on!

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 60studehawk

I would like to find a dicast stude hawk cpe.(1957 to 1961) No one seems to make one. If anyone knows of any, let me know.
          Jeff
          I've never seen any models of Hawk coupes (i.e. Power Hawk, Flight Hawk) but there are several companies that make diecast '57 Golden Hawks in 1:18 scale. I have also seen at least one diecast Golden Hawk in 1:24 scale.

From what I'm learning, serious collectors avoid the large toyish scales and stick to the more jewel-like scale of 1:43. I just found out that a company in England called Mini Marque 43 offered a highly detailed '57 Golden Hawk and Silver Hawk in white metal. They also made a '63 Gran Turismo Hawk which is very rare. Both Hawk models recently appeared side by side on the cover of Toy Studebaker Collectors Club newsletter.

<center></center>

The Mini Marque's were manufactured in the late 1980's and the proportions look less accurate than the newer models. There is currently a MM Golden Hawk on ebay. Here is a link.

Solido also made a model of the Silver Hawk but it was diecast and doesn't look very detailed.

<center></center>

Dinky-Matchbox offered a slightly nicer version of the Golden Hawk. Both it and the Solido can easily be found for less than $20.00.

<center></center>

The only other Hawk models I have seen in 1:43 scale are the Packard versions. Frobley made a diecast one in the 80's that was very crude. See photo below.

<center></center>

The best Hawk model so far has got to be the new '58 Packard Hawk by Bruce Arnold Models (BAM). Thanks to Gary, I now have some photos of it.

<center></center>
          <center></center>
          <center></center>

Hope that information helps you. Good luck in your search.

Chris

Comment

WOW! Neater than sneakers Chris! I have a few models, the big ones, of my '50 Starlight coupe, and a few other Stude models, (Avanti, Hawk), but I never realized that Studebakers were so popular! Thanks for all the great info and pictures. I'll be lookin' for my collection![^]

Sonny
            Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Bob, I totally agree with you on the C bodies. Even in the promo models the K body seems to be more plentiful. I do have one of my 1955 C body, but I did not find it, a friend did and bought it for me at the 1995 Dearborn SDC Int'l. And yes, it is painted to match it's big sister!

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Jeff, You point up a complaint I have about Stude models. Every damned 53 and up car the model-makers turn out are of the K-body (hardtop) cars! The C-body (coupes) are every bit as appealing to the eye and yet all the model makers ignore them.

Sam Roberts

Comment

Loweycoupe, That Frobley P-hawk is almost comic in it's appearance. But the white one's not much more appealing. It's hard to put a finger on just what's wrong, but it just has a sorta "chunky" look to it that doesn't convey the lithe look of the real thing.
                I have a few scale model Studes and I like the larger ones myself. Once you start to shrink them too small, it's impossible to reflect any detail without making it look ridiculous. Just my opinion, of course. While I do have an artistic eye, I'm not in the model-making biz.[|)]

Miscreant at large.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Sam Roberts

Bob, I totally agree with you on the C bodies. Even in the promo models the K body seems to be more plentiful. I do have one of my 1955 C body, but I did not find it, a friend did and bought it for me at the 1995 Dearborn SDC Int'l. And yes, it is painted to match it's big sister!

It may not be a C-Body, but did you ever think you would see a highly detailed scale model of a '54 Conestoga? They were first released by a company called U.S. Model Mint and have just been re-released by Brooklin Models of England. Price is $75.00.

The guy who made that nice '58 Packard Hawk also did a special version of the Conestoga. The detail he adds is simply amazing. Here is a link to some photos:

Chris

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Loweycoupe, That Frobley P-hawk is almost comic in it's appearance. But the white one's not much more appealing. It's hard to put a finger on just what's wrong, but it just has a sorta "chunky" look to it that doesn't convey the lithe look of the real thing.
                    I have a few scale model Studes and I like the larger ones myself. Once you start to shrink them too small, it's impossible to reflect any detail without making it look ridiculous...
                    Really? I couldn't disagree more regarding the BAM Hawk. Gary sent me some additional photos and the model looks proportionally accurate in every detail. I took another look at the real car and in my opinion, they perfectly captured it's distinctive nose and trunk. Unlike the MiniMarque, Brooklin or Motor City versions, BAM also got the roof height exactly right - and look at those REAL wires!

<center></center>

On Forum 43, I found some photos of the original master pattern in primer, which allow you to better see it's lines (see link below). How these pattern-makers create these masterpieces from nothing more than a block of resin is beyond me.

There are some that believe 1:43 scale models must have exaggerated features to compensate for their size but this in my opinion, is bullsh!t. It's either proportionally correct or it isn't. I have nothing against the collectors that opt for the larger (and cheaper) diecast models but I don't think I could ever get used to the clunky opening doors, wide panel gaps, and heavy-handed detail work. If that weren't bad enough, you can find yourself quickly running out of display space. For me, 1:43 makes much more sense.

Chris

Comment

I like the model and I also like 1/43 scale, but I have all scales in my collection. I also prefer to pay less and not have opening doors, etc. What is the price of this Packard Hawk? I do question your "...proportionally accurate in every detail." I believe that if you scale up that hood scoop it would be huge compared to the real thing and wire wheels (?). I didn't scale them up, but the wheels look more like 15 inch rather than the correct 14 inch.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I just noticed that the earlier picture that you posted has the Packard Hawk with the correct wheelcovers rather than the wire wheels of the later picture. Which would you get if you purchased a copy of the model? Is there a choice?
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I like the model and I also like 1/43 scale, but I have all scales in my collection. I also prefer to pay less and not have opening doors, etc. What is the price of this Packard Hawk? I do question your "...proportionally accurate in every detail." I believe that if you scale up that hood scoop it would be huge compared to the real thing and wire wheels (?). I didn't scale them up, but the wheels look more like 15 inch rather than the correct 14 inch.
                          In regard to the hood scoop, I think you're spot-on in the case of the Frobley but take a good look at the real car and you will see that the BAM version is accurate.

I have seen Packard Hawks with wire wheels and remember hearing that some Southern California dealers offered (Kelsey-Hayes?) wires on their Hawks. No question it dresses them up.

As for your concern about the model's wheel radius, I'm not sure. But I can say that a one inch difference in 1:1 scale is roughly .6 millimeters in 1:43 scale. If you can notice that small a difference in a photograph, you're a better man than I am.

Chris

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I just noticed that the earlier picture that you posted has the Packard Hawk with the correct wheelcovers rather than the wire wheels of the later picture. Which would you get if you purchased a copy of the model? Is there a choice?
                            I believe that the Hawks in the gold/white and black/red color combination come with the wire wheels while the two-tone white/red, white/gold ones have the hubcaps. Given the nature of these small hand-made model manufacturers, I would not be surprised if you get both sets of wheels with your model.

<center></center>

I personally can't decide if I want the black/red Hawk or the white/gold one. Either way, I would want both the wires and hubcaps so I could alternate them as I wish. I don't know the price but the seller of the older Mini Marque 43 Golden Hawk on ebay wants $200.00. Considering it's quality and low production (less than 100 total), my guess is the BAM version probably costs more.

<center></center>

Comment

I have some of those models, but I own a 1960 hawk and would like one like that. All the models are of hardtops. I want a c body. Maybe someone will make one someday or maybe I can find a factory promo mode.
                              Jeff
                              Jeff Sheaffer
                              Driving the past into the future

Comment

Working...
                              X