This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Wheels for 1954 Coupe

I am building a '54 coupe with a Fatman front clip. I am having trouble determining the largest size wheels that will fit under a stock front wheel well. I want to use 17x7s or 17x8s. Some wheel shops say they won't fit. Yet I see custom Studes in Turning Wheels with Corvette (C4) wheels, which are 17x8.5. Can anyone help?

Don Maurizio

I'm feelin' real lonely here! Isn't there anyone that can offer some advice?

Don

Comment

Don, It isn't that no one wants to help you here. It's just that most of the "oldtimers" to this forum aren't versed in using that Fatman clip. At least, none of them that I know of.[|)]

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Not too big a deal....
        Do you have a source for your tires?
        If you do then do this.
        Measure your finished ride height at the bumper
        Jack up the car and remove the wheel.
        Set it back down until the bumper is at ride height.
        Set the bare tire in the wheelwell.
        Note the upward clearance.
        Measure from the face of the drum (vertical plane)to the tire bead.
        Turn the wheel and match the tire turn to the hub.
        Check it out and measure it again.
        Do the same for the other direction.
        Leave about an inch all around for clearance, as tires bend going around turns.
        When you are comfy with your numbers, go to:

and compare your rim edge measurements to the ones on the charts.
        That should determine the set-back you need.
        Most stock applications are around 3&1/2".
        You can order wheels from a good supplier any way you want.
        Last set of 5 wheels I ordered had 3 different setbacks, and 3 different rim widths. Bolted right up. No worries.
        There is also a plastic gadget sold that bolts to your hub that you slide these brackets out to see where things will hit and rub. When you are done you just plug in the numbers. A tape measure still works, though.
        Some other sites worth reading are:

That Chevy site may answer your Vette wheel question.
        Hope the info helps.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dmauriz

I am building a '54 coupe with a Fatman front clip. I am having trouble determining the largest size wheels that will fit under a stock front wheel well. I want to use 17x7s or 17x8s. Some wheel shops say they won't fit. Yet I see custom Studes in Turning Wheels with Corvette (C4) wheels, which are 17x8.5. Can anyone help?

Don Maurizio
        DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
        '61 Hawk
        '37 Coupe Express
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sorry Don, This isn't a chat room.
          Most people only get to look here a couple times a day at best.
          Be patient, though... Good questions will bring good answers.
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dmauriz

I'm feelin' real lonely here! Isn't there anyone that can offer some advice?

Don
          DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
          '61 Hawk
          '37 Coupe Express
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I wouldn't be suprised if people running wheels/tires that large had removed the inner front fenders to gain clearance. I have seen quite a few C/K cars that had custom inner fenders made out of aluminum sheet. These cars are usually running SB Chevy's which take up less room in the engine compartment. -Will

Comment

Good deal of your problem is going to be how low you install that clip. My '53 is using a Scott's front end but I put it low enough that there is no way I could use a 17" wheel. I am running 15 x 7 with a 3 1/2 backspace and 205x15 radials. Just barely clear the fenders when at full lock. And I MEAN barely.
              Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.
              Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X