This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this thing?

Just bought a 64 Sedan (saved from doom!) and not sure what model... serial# is 64S-7384...

Has partial script on LF fender only- maybe Commander?

Has 6 cyl. completely rebuilt 12 yrs. ago, less than 500 miles; Brand new SS exhaust, plugs, wires, battery last 30 days; purrs like a kitten! Has ben moved around yard but not on road since 93- so naturally, I took off down the road right away for a 50-mile round-trip; and made it!! Ran like a champ except for brakes pulling hard left (exciting!)... body is straight and solid except for so-so floor pans and LOTS of surface rust... dors work great, even heater works! Not wipers, though...

Is this worth saving?

Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Heck yeah! They're all worth saving! (If you don't believe that you should see my yard!) It sounds like you may have a Commander, the 64S just tells ya that it's a 64 and it was originally a six cylinder. It might even be a Cruiser, but I don't know enough about the 64 cars to give you a good answer. Hang in there though, I know that someone here can tell you what it is for sure. But in any event, it also sounds like a car that I'd like to have parked in my yard. Sounds like the perfect daily driver candidate.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Yeah, the old critter just stole my heart! It actually looked depressed sitting in front of the old-time repair shop where I spotted it... now, after only 4 days, it's sitting in my yard, and looks much happier after that road trip!!

Sounds kinda weird, doesn't it?)

Comment

Nope, doesn't sound weird at ALL to a guy with 11 of them in his yard and storage all over the place. [^] Keep us updated on the progress will ya? It sounds like you made a great find, only 4 of the cars I have actually run! The '64 cars were very nice, good solid drivers. Congratulations! Is this your first Studebaker?

Sonny
        Sonny

Comment

The car is likely a Commander as all the Cruisers for 64 were V8's (at least all of those destined for north America). To be sure, take a look at the body/model number plate on the firewall, passenger side. You didn't say if yours has 2 or 4 doors, but for 4 door models (for example) the Commander is a Y4, the Daytona, Y8 and the Crusiser, Y9. Good luck with it!

MarkC, 64 Y8
          Working in Spokane, WA

Comment

Yes, Sonny, first Studebaker... at least first of my own! My dad was a used car dealer (as am I) and as a kid I'd see them pass through from time to time.

I've had all the Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, Chargers, etc. at on time or another... I still love them all- after all, I'm King of all Car Nuts- but got bored with them! Everyone wants to save a 57 Chevy Convertible, but I care about the good old everyday cars that did all the REAL work when I was a kid (I'm 43) and preserving them too! I love old station wagons, vans, trucks, orphans, etc... currently have a 66 Falcon Club Wagon window van, 61 Lancer wagon, 2 65 Lincoln sedans (love the 65s!) and will be receiving a 65 Lincoln Convt. on Friday- a car I've always dreamed about owning!

As for the Stude, I will either restore it or sell it to someone who will restore it and love it... either way it has a place in my heart and will from here forward be improved, driven, laughed about and at, stored inside winters, loved, and most of all, kept 100% SAFE FROM THE CRUSHER!!!

Comment

I have seen your yard <lol>
              That Packard is not worth saving <seg>
              Jeff[8D]

Posted - 10/11/2004 : 20:44:59
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heck yeah! They're all worth saving! (If you don't believe that you should see my yard!) It sounds like you may have a Commander, the 64S just tells ya that it's a 64 and it was originally a six cylinder. It might even be a Cruiser, but I don't know enough about the 64 cars to give you a good answer. Hang in there though, I know that someone here can tell you what it is for sure. But in any event, it also sounds like a car that I'd like to have parked in my yard. Sounds like the perfect daily driver candidate.

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
              '61 Hawk
              '37 Coupe Express
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

I have seen your yard <lol>
                That Packard is not worth saving <seg>
                Jeff[8D]

<LOL> Two 63 parts cars *somehow* have found their way into my yard since ya visited. Yeah, you're right on that Packard, it's in smaller pieces already. I was talking about NE car guy way-o-thinking, no more rot buckets for me, but anything that casts a shadow is fair game here.

Sonny
                Sonny

Comment

Working...
                X