• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [BUMP] Needed: T-85 Trans. Levers!!!

1956 Commanders, Presidents, Sky Hawks, Golden Hawks
    1957 Commanders, Presidents, Golden Hawk and Packards
    1958 Presidents, Golden Hawks, Packards and Packard Hawks

Studedom who would have some of these to sell/trade/whatever.

Last edited by Welcome; 10-31-2010, 11:42 AM. Reason: FLUSTRATED!!!

Shouldn't there be only THREE?
    Low/Reverse 1539603, Second/High 1539601. [:0]

Since Packard was the first to use the H.D. T-85 Overdrive with the R-11 Overdrive Unit, '56 & '57 Studes. carried over the old Packard (pre-1955) O.D. Shift Lever # 458496 [^]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The t86 levers/clevis look like they might be similar enough to work if you filed the inside holes out slightly?

54 Champion coupe
      48 Champion Convert
      54 Champion coupe
      48 Champion Convert

Comment

I've got the transmission levers. PM me.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

I've got the transmission levers. PM me.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          SENT!!! Thank you!!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 54stude

The t86 levers/clevis look like they might be similar enough to work if you filed the inside holes out slightly?

54 Champion coupe
            48 Champion Convert
            Thanks for your response! The levers needed have "huge" ...over 2" off-sets ...so just filing the holes out of T-86 levers would not be an option.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Shouldn't there be only THREE?
              Low/Reverse 1539603, Second/High 1539601. [:0]

Since Packard was the first to use the H.D. T-85 Overdrive with the R-11 Overdrive Unit, '56 & '57 Studes. carried over the old Packard (pre-1955) O.D. Shift Lever # 458496 [^]
              StudeRich
              As always, thanks for your input!

In actuality, there are only TWO different Levers I'm in need of. Studebaker in all their infinite wisdom created an additional TWO part numbers in the system by deciding to offer those Levers [u]WITH</u> and [u]WITHOUT</u> Insulator p/n 197565 installed.

i.e.
              By adding that Insulator to Lever p/n 1539601 it becomes p/n 1539600, likewise, adding that Insulator to Lever p/n 1539603 it becomes p/n 1539602

Comment

Interesting! Someone in their MORE infinite wisdom, decided to never use part # 1539600 and 602 Assy's.! [:0]

In keeping with Studebaker's policy of always selling everything INDIVIDUALLY, those Assy's. were never released for sale, stocked or listed in Parts Catalogs or in Book "F" Price List books, that I know of! [^]

I also learned an important issue, since there are way more T-89 TRUCK Trannies out there than CAR T-85's so the T-89's are often used in Cars, the TRUCK shift levers are completely different than CARS!

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:there are way more T-89 TRUCK Trannies out there than CAR T-85's so the T-89's are often used in Cars,
                  Too true. I was recently sold a complete T85 setup from a '56 Golden Hawk. When inspected, it was a T89 someone had cobbled to fit a '56J.

My guess is SASCO had plenty of T89s in stock at reasonable prices. Obviously, some CASOs chose to use these in place of the harder-to-find T85s. I know of at least one other '56J with a T89 in it.

Question - are the shift levers different between C-cab and T-cab T89s?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

I just sold a T-86 E with aT90 top shifter attached to it. What can you trans guroos tell me about that set up????
                    Brian

Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Interesting! Someone in their MORE infinite wisdom, decided to never use part # 1539600 and 602 Assy's.! [:0]
                      In keeping with Studebaker's policy of always selling everything INDIVIDUALLY, those Assy's. were never released for sale, stocked or listed in Parts Catalogs or in Book "F" Price List books, that I know of! [^]
                      StudeRich
                      Interesting! Yes, to some of us and just plain boring old info to others!

Some additional details for those of us who find this sort of Studebaker "insider info stuff" interesting:

In the August/September 1963 time frame, Studebaker SASCO Purchasing Dept. placed an order with Warner Gear Co. for 25 pcs. of T-85C transmission Lever p/n 1539601 (Lever & insulator assembly). Warner Gear wrote back stating they could no longer supply the assembly as such, BUT could supply 25 pcs. of the Lever ONLY (p/n 1539600). Studebaker's Service Parts Engineering then got involved. They looked the situation over and sent a memo authorizing "USE" (OK to substitute) p/n 1539600 for p/n 1539601. Rich, if you look up part numbers 1539600 and 1539601 on page 201 of SASCO's Book "F" Price List, effective October 1, 1968, you will see the end result of all those memos.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8
                        [br&gt;&gt;&gt;My guess is SASCO had plenty of T89s in stock at reasonable prices.&lt;&lt;&lt;
                        thnx, jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

There are about 40 T85 3 speed truck transmissions. Also saw 1 T85 3 speed with a long tail shaft. I think I have one shift lever with the 2 inch off set. Jim

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DieselJim

There are about 40 T85 3 speed truck transmissions. Also saw 1 T85 3 speed with a long tail shaft. I think I have one shift lever with the 2 inch off set. Jim
                            Jim M. ...thanks for that info!!!

What is the difference between the "TRUCK" T-85 and the "CAR" T-85 ...does the "TRUCK" have all spur-cut gears like the TAXI/H.D. version?

Jim B.

Comment

Working...
                            X