1942 Trunk Handle Puzzle (Solved!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 Trunk Handle Puzzle (Solved!)

Howdy All! Can any of my Studebaker friends out there help, I am in need of a exploded view of a '42 trunk handle, and have no manuals for that era. I am trying to disassemble one for a good friend for chroming, and am re-keying it for him while it is apart. The handle has a round bronze nut on the shaft that holds the handle assembly to the plate, but the locking bar that is actuated by the key is bigger than the nut, so it wont go over it for removal. I am trying to figure out how the locking bar and inner shaft assembly from the lock is disassembled to allow the nut and handle to be removed. The lock removal was simple with a pinhole for release, but that inner shaft mechanism has me stumped! Thanks in advance for any help. Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 Deluxe '59 4E3-112 Deluxe Scotsman '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
    I own time machines.....

Just looked at my '41 Champion Coupe, and it has the identical trunk latch, and will not be specific to the short '42 model year if it helps in getting an exploded view from a manual. Thanks again for any help anyone can offer. Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 Deluxe '59 4E3-112 Deluxe Scotsman '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
    I own time machines.....

Comment

Just looked at my '41 Champion Coupe, and it has the identical trunk latch, and will not be specific to the short '42 model year if it helps in getting an exploded view from a manual. Thanks again for any help anyone can offer. Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mike. I do understand that it was cast in one piece, but there must be a way to disassemble the inner shaft assembly, as the bronze nut that threads on the shaft to hold the handle in place, must have been put on after it was cast to hold the handle to the plate. The pictures I uploaded show that the locking bar moves side to side inside the shaft by means of a cam, or teeth when turned with the key to lock and unlock the trunk. But will only turn to a point of being flush with one side or the other, and will not turn any further for removal from the shaft. There must be a trick to removing that locking bar that goes through the shaft, and thats the puzzle I am trying to solve with a exploded view, or perhaps finding someone that has done this before. Thanks...Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

Is that rectangular piece spring loaded and will push into the shaft, allowing the nut to be removed?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          ....On the road, again....
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Is that rectangular piece spring loaded and will push into the shaft, allowing the nut to be removed?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            ....On the road, again....
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Or is it a woodrough (sp) key that simply presses into a slot? Steve

sigpic

Comment

The '42 models used two different trunk handles.The foot prints are exactly the same. The difference is: They run out of the style designed for the '42 and used the '41 style w/a cap over the license plate light post. See the parts book foot note. The handle on eather one can be removed as per prior post.

Richard

Comment

The exploded view shows exactly what your pictures show, except that in the picture the blocking part which they call the Pawl, and a retaining pin are shown floating above the area where they belong. There is not any clue as to how it is removed. Sorry!

Steve M.
                Iroquois Chapter
                Steve M.
                Iroquois Chapter

Comment

Before you can remove the locking bar (pawl) you must remove the cam (adapter) first. It is retained by a small roll pin. I think it will be somewhere around the end of the threads shown in your first pic.

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Found it! It is a very small brass pin within the threads about 3/4 of the way down them, well hidden, right behind where it meets the plate. The nut must be loosened completely, so the handle comes out enough to get to it. 70 years worth of dust and moisture in those threads had covered it, and made it look just like the threads, I could not find it even visually. I took a metal dental pic and ran around the threads till I found it. It will have to be drilled out, as it is only on one side of the shaft, and looks like it was driven in. It will have to be replaced, but think I have brass pins in my collection that will work. Thanks to all my Studebaker friends who responded. You folks are the greatest! Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

Working...
                    X