PlainBrownR2 South Bend Car Show May 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlainBrownR2 South Bend Car Show May 2010

This may be one of many topics, so here we go.....Well another show has come and gone. This one was significantly larger than year's past actually, since all of the vendors are now at one spot(not counting the grand opening of SI ). The weather was a little wetter than in year's past. Thursday it was great, Friday it was rain, and today, rain and cold(Is it October already?). Anyway, I picked up some things for the '55 and the Lark. I got some used door flippers, of which I must applaud Matt and Dale for locating in their mountain of trim . I got a '55 radiator, a grille surround, and a front and rear passenger window to replace the broken ones on the '55. I also picked up a universal fan and exhaust pipe from the sale bins at SI, some assorted GM parts, a manifold clamp and some ground straps.

Among other things, it was a pretty good display of vendors all three days as from what the photos show:

The car show was a tad smaller than in year's past due to the weather. But that didn't slow more than a few hardy souls to come out and display their cars:

Anyway, what did I do? Well, I arrived on Thursday to see the fairgrounds. Not finding anything I went back to the Comfort Suites where we resided and I was introduced to Matt and Chris, saw ChampTrucking's mean little yellow Lark, as well as Ed George of which I've doing this for many years with. We had a ball hanging out in the parking lot with the cars, and discussing parts swap matters(who said it stopped at the swapmeet, lol!!), among other things.

Friday was a rainy day. We went back to the fairgrounds for the morning, and in the afternoon we went to see the new digs of SI, which are in the old Studebaker Aviation Plant. I think the words Holy Cr*p were the words I said when I saw Ed Reynolds after the tour. For anyone that says that parts are hard to come by, I think these pictures might explain it the best:

During the tour, there are really two largeeeee rooms, separated by a hall large enough to drive a truck through. There is also a smaller room where the blueprints are kept. Both of the storage rooms are plum full of parts from the move. They are categorized, numbered, and organized onto the shelf. They are also being moved to the computer so the access to the parts
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Nice job. [^][^] My iphoto died on my computer, but your pics look identical, so mine are useless! About SI....exactly my words. Amazing what it took to do all of that. Sadly my needed parts are still nonexistent among that treasure trove, but WOW.

Comment

That's me in the first pic (w/ white hat) talking to long time friend Charlie Gaddis. I was really glad to see him at the meet, as he's starting to have some health challenges.
      Mike Sal

Comment

Hey, that's a picture of my car and that's me standing next to the orange E45 Diesel when I was judgeing!

Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

1940 Champion two door.
        Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
        1963 Prototype cart built by Studebaker.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:
          Hey, that's a picture of my car and that's me standing next to the orange E45 Diesel when I was judgeing!
          Yep, I had to see this first place '40, and I had to see just how nice you were being to the very fine looking Diesel [)]. You know that well tuned truck will easily do 70 mph on the interstate, it was keeping pace with the traffic on the way back.
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I like the horse emblem on the grill of the red Stude...btw, what year is that car? Thanks for the cool photos. We need a youtube video of the SI facility...very impressive! junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Does anyone have another pic of this '55 showing more of the car? I saw it in another post also a partial view. I like the tri-colors on it. Something different. I don't think it's a Speedster is it?

Edit: Looking at ChampTrucking's photo, maybe it is a Speedster. It appears to have the diamond interior. Was that a factory color scheme?

Comment

Ask Matthew about that car.It is a Caddy powered Stude. I will let Matt tell the story.

Comment

I like the P-38. Wow what a great idea.[]
                  Good Roads
                  Brian

Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

The '55 is a Speedster and is owned by Jim Davis. I have been in contact with him for a couple of years now and it was a real pleasure to meet him and finally see the car. (Thank YOU ChampTrucking for putting Jim and I together!).

The Speedster has a 331 Caddy with LaSalle 3 speed. Under the hood are dimpled valve covers for adjustable rockers, VS57 supercharger mount, and on the firewall are resisters, as used by Bill Frick.

When my uncle bought his '53 Studillac, a mountain of paperwork came with it. In that paperwork are response letters from the at-the-time owner of this '55. I say with confidence that this Speedster is the lone Studillac that Bill Frick built in '55.

I spend a great deal of time (fighting the 40 degree weather and insane wind) looking over this car, and was amazed to find a lot of similarities between it and my uncle's '53.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

quote:
                      You know that well tuned truck will easily do 70 mph on the interstate, it was keeping pace with the traffic on the way back.
                      Yup, I know. It's my neighbors truck. That thing rocks! It's powered by a detroit deisel.[]

Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

1940 Champion two door.
                      Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
                      1963 Prototype cart built by Studebaker.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Good pix PBR, sorry I didn't meet you... you and a bunch of others[V]

I tried to look at your pictures but the links both ask me for a password.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
                        Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

I have a few videos of the tour of SI. The neat but still somewhat clanky feature with photobucket is I can post videos on the website. I say clanky because they can be mixed in with the regular pictures in the same folder, so it takes some browsing to find them. Anyway, this one is about a minute in length and it is 60 mb big, so it may take a little bit of time for you dial up folks :

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

As far as the Speedster, unfortunately this is the only other picture I have of the vehicle. At the time, the only thing I could think of was that this wasn't a normal Speedster setup, but it looked neat, so I took some pictures of it [}].

With the P-38 Bulletnose, he's from Ed George's neck of the woods up here. I first saw this vehicle about a couple years ago when it debuted at one of our club meetings here. Ironically enough, this is the same car that appeared in the April 2010 Hot Rod magazine, in a small Reader's Rides inset at the front of the magazine. The issue was the one where they discuss the new 5.0L Coyote Mustang engine, so it has gotten some publicity.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/th_0413001627.jpg[/IMG=left]
                          [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/th_0321001800.jpg[/IMG=left]
                          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/th_P1000145.jpg[/IMG=right]
                          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/th_P1000136.jpg[/IMG=right]
                          [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                          [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=left]

Comment

quote:
                            Good pix PBR, sorry I didn't meet you... you and a bunch of others

I tried to look at your pictures but the links both ask me for a password.
                            Check the bottom of my first post there for the password. Photobucket is funny like this for regular folks who just want to browse the photos, in that it allows for password protection from people not editing the photos that I really should figure out how to shut off.

The humor is for the 2 1/2 days over there, I was either at the fairgrounds, the Comfort Suites, or SI [)]. I actually met the majority of the Forum populace either at the fairgrounds or the hotel. For me the South Bend meet is mainly a parts grab and "seeing some old faces from last year", before the show season starts.

Comment

I stayed at Comfort Suites too! Probably spilled coffee on you and didn't even know it[:I]

Missed you password; mine don't seem to require it. No idea why not.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
                              Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

Working...
                              X