Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 Dictator purchase information

Hello,

I am new to the forum, so hi to all. My wife found a 36 Studebaker dictator for sale. I have been restoring a 67 Mustang that is almost complete, so she is now interested in her own toy. My question is, what price range does this really go for. I have tried to research them on ebay and car sites, but I'm not to sure on the standards of what is normal and not. The car runs and is in good physical shape ALL GUAGES WORK and is equiped with torqsion suspension a slant 6 (4) speed. It has very little to no rust at all around the trunk lid. Overall its in good shape. What does anyone think? thanks.

If it has torsion bars and a slant six it must be modified. At the very least you will need to post some pictures before anyone could venture a guess on a value.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

here is the link to the ad.

Comment

A quick look at the pictures show a fairly modern drive train. Dual master cylinder, hydraulic clutch and a newer Mopar engine. It looks like the wheels are modern which would suggest a modern front suspension graft. If the rear end is also modern the price in probably ball park.

No pix of the interior but it sounds like there must be something as the rest of the car is modified.

I be careful to drive it before you make an offer to be sure it is well put together as it probably has a newer front clip.

If it drives well and has the newer drive train, It's worth what is being asked providing not a lot of rust repair has to be done.

After looking at the car, only you and the seller can determine the selling price as he seems motivated. But $7500 for the work thats been done if well done is not excessive if all the chrome etc. is there.

And Welcome

Bob

Comment

That car has been advertised on CL for probably a year off and on. He has had it as low as $6500 around tax time so you should be able to do some dickering on his $7500 asking.

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
          '64 Daytona HT
          \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
          \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

It does look nearly complete. However, the seller states, "Car is great on gas and /runs great," so I would assume the car is road-worthy already. Nonetheless, I would be very, very careful to examine the car from stem to stern. Check everything. Also, if you are not a welder/mechanic, then have the chassis checked by one. This vehicle seems to have enjoyed what we call a frame-over. That's not necessarily a bad thing (if one likes modified cars) and if done right, can produce a really nice driver.[8D]

One thing to keep in mind though; This car is only a Studebaker bodied car. In reality, it's some kind of Mopar-hybrid. This can provide many creature comforts not available in '36. Air conditioning, for instance. However, repairs can get a wee bit complicated.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sfox7997

Hello,
              equiped with torqsion suspension a slant 6 (4) speed. It has very little to no rust at all around the trunk lid. Overall its in good shape. What does anyone think? thanks.
              If you looked it over, and checked the instalation of the suspension (kit or Aspen weld in) and it was done right. And that very little rust around trunk lip??? is very little. I'd say 5K. Depends on how much more you want to put in it and how bad the wife wants it.. Body, work, upholstery, paint, etc.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I am pretty good at the mechanical and electrical. I don't even try to mess with body work. I have been working on my 67 mustang on and off for about a year now, and have been able to tackle everything on my own. Its just with the mustang, there are plenty of after market vendors to get any part I need. With this car it seems like if you need something, you have to find an original piece or fabricate / modify a new one. Just don't want to get in over my head in expenses. It is a nice looking car though.....

Comment

Working...
                X