Studebaker hydraulic bench vice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker hydraulic bench vice

I just discovered a Studebaker hydraulic bench vice, no hand crank, a hydraulic cylinder pushes the jaw shut. Does any one know anything about this? When it was made? I'm guessing the 40's, war time maybe. The casting says "Studebaker Machine Co. Maywood, ILL.

Hi studeynut, Welcome to the Forum, I am sure that some one can tell you some thing on the vice. I know that Studebaker made tools. Do you have a picture? Gene..

Comment

Yes, PIX NOW!

Chris Pile
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Here is a picture of the vice, (I hope, new at this)

Comment

Maybe this will work. I'm afraid it may be oversized, sorry.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Wow - it's big!

Chris Pile
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Thanks Bob for the help with the picture. Its 26 inches long and 6 inches wide at the base, with air I can close the jaws, the spring pulls it back open, fun to play with.

Comment

That is really nice and the fact that it still works!makes ya wonder what else was and may still be around in the way of tools with STUDEBAKER on them?

Joseph R. Zeiger
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have a couple of those types of vises from my grandparent's machine shop. They operate in the same manner where you pump one end to push fluid to close the vise shut. When you want to release the part you flip the lever up and push back on the jaw. They aren't Studebaker but they are small quick on, quick off, machinist type of vises.
                  1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                  X