Rookie mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie mistake

So I was thrilled to get my new grill for my '63 in the mail today. Take a look at the pic, and tell me if anything leaps out at you:

When I saw such a nice piece, I didn't hesitate to pay the $60 for the mesh and shell.

So here is the deal... My old mesh is much finer and has only wide horizontal bars. That said, the old one is rusty and bashed out of shape, but the "8" badge does not fit the new one. Was the different grill used on 6 cyl. cars? I couldn't find any google pics showing a car with this grill. Oh well, its too nice not to use.

Ron Johnston
    1963 Studebaker Daytona HT

The new grill mesh is a '62 Lark one. A pretty darn nice one at that!

Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

It's just personal preference of course, but when I see a view of the whole car with that '62 grille installed, all I see is those three vertical fat bars jumping out at you, and that Mercedes look never did anything for me, if I had a '62 the first thing I would do is install a '63 Grille!

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I must admit I'm partial to the '62 grill m'self, of course I'm biased there![8D] Me and my dad do hope to add a '63 lark to the flock MAYBE in the next year, so maybe my opinion will change with time.

Mr.Johnston, your old grill doesn't look to bad to me. Is it possible it could be bent back to shape, and the rust polished off with 0000 steel wool? I've had good luck with doing that on my own car.[]

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

It's just personal preference of course, but when I see a view of the whole car with that '62 grille installed, all I see is those three vertical fat bars jumping out at you, and that Mercedes look never did anything for me, if I had a '62 the first thing I would do is install a '63 Grille!

StudeRich
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Thanks Guys... it didn't occur to me to look at pics of different years... the seller must have been mistaken when he said it was a '63 grill. Either way it will be the new face of Rosie when she makes her debut.

And yes Dylan, I think the old one could be repaired - it doesn't really show in the picture, but the center of the mesh is pushed so far in that the peak is nearly backwards. I did spend a few minutes with chrome polish and the soft wheel for my Dremel, and it shined up nicely. Ironically, the back face of the old one is nearly perfect, like the front of the new one... sparkly!

Ron Johnston
          1963 Studebaker Daytona HT

Comment

If you decide to find a '63 mesh, SI has them for $52.00. Other vendors may have them as well part#1352704W. I don't mind the '62 though, but I'm biased like Dylan.[8D]

Skinny
            Watertown, SD
            Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Working...
            X