UPS mishap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS mishap

Arghhh....The ups man pulled up just as i was getting home tonight & handed me a long thin box. I asked him where the 2nd package was, as I assumed this was my new exhaust system I ordered from Parker Pipes, since the box had a crook to it's shape. He said he didn't have another box, so I figured it would come later.

As I took the box over to the shop I happen to notice the label was from Classic Enterprises, not Parker Pipes.....you guessed it, I opened the box to find bent rocker panels that I had also ordered.

I called ups & they started the claim process & will pick the damaged box up tomorrow.....we'll see how it plays out.
    Mike Sal

sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bummer.

I always have a time with UPS. Recently bought parts from WA to be shipped here to NY. Took 11 days to get them by UPS Ground. Would have had them 2 days sooner except they come to my home during the day (when I'm at work) and want a signature. They left a sticker that says "sign here and leave on door for delivery". I did, and next day a second sticker is left, now saying it must be in-person[}] I would have to drive to the distribution center, 18 miles away to get it. Luckily I know the driver that serves my office and he went out of his way to intercept it and bring it to my work. I guess when a seller insists on UPS I'll have to try to remember to give my workplace address; my boss is OK with it but it just seems wrong. Had it been mailed, it would have been left on my porch. In the rare instance that a sig. is required, I could sign the slip and leave in the box and get it the next day, or stop by the Post Office, 2.3 miles away.

As a bonus- 16 lb. package by UPS Ground- $49.55. USPS Parcel Post (about 7 days)- $25.51. USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days)- $42.90.

Worth pondering...

I will say that UPS does generally handle damage claims satisfactorily. Best of luck on yours.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
      Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

My long sought after windshields (front and rear) were destroyed by UPS carelessness - the can't seem to interpret "fancy" phrases like FRAGILE, THIS SIDE UP, and DO NOT STACK ON THIS BOX... or they just don't like being told what to do?

Ron Johnston
        1963 Studebaker Daytona HT

Comment

My experience with UPS has been very good. I usually ask the sender to note to put it on the back porch. This request has always been carried out and now whether it is marked or not it is placed on the back porch. I have never had a damaged package. As for USPS, should I miss a delivery requiring a signature, or need to pick up my delivery for any reason in person. I must make an 18 mile trip (one way) passing two other post offices on the way. I have yet to figure that out.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

learned a long time ago to open all UPS packages that seem to be damaged befor the UPS driver leaves. Recently he delivered us a sunroof that had been mangled beyond belief. The poor driver said " I have to deliver it anyway." Well he took it back after we started the claims process. Wasn't happy as we screwed up his delivery schedule and time frames.
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BAMS50

I will say that UPS does generally handle damage claims satisfactorily. Best of luck on yours
              Bob, Your luck has been better than mine. Not only is UPS the best method to provide damage to items shipped, but they would not pay for damage to a $400 item even when I had submitted several claims.

I finally asked who was their "Agent For Process" in Michigan and they settled at lightning speed.

The delivery guy is great but the rest of the outfit, Patooey!!

I use Fedex and the USPS when I can.

Bob

Comment

I'm on the fence about who to ship with. I've had problems with both UPS and the USPS, but FedEx has yet to destroy anything of mine. To be fair USPS hasn't wrecked anything, but my last package from them had hockey pads in it instead of the Studebaker Model I was expecting. After getting laughed at at the local post office they sent me to another post office to get laughed at again. There they handed me a form they had printed of the internet, said fill it out, and told me that it "might work".

I did just ship an Avanti gas tank to Chicago that weighs 33 lbs. for $35 via UPS.

Nick

Comment

The only problem I've had with UPS was some years back I bought a difficult to find part for a '67 Dodge Charger I owned. The seller was in Canada and shipped it via UPS. It never arrived and the seller started a UPS trace on it...it was shown to have entered US Customs at the border but never leaving Customs. It was lost forever apparently. UPS eventually made good but it took quite a long time to get reimbursement.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Speaking of UPS, they are bad news for cross-border shipments going INTO Canada, as they tack on a substantial "brokerage charge" for the minor chore of collecting the 6% GST that's due to the Federal government.

Canada Post manages to get by charging a flat fee of about $5 for doing the paperwork. UPS charge a percentage rate, and it isn't small.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

UPS is like Allstate insurance " Your in good hands" they will crush you like a bug if they get a chance, I use UPS for years with 90% of my shipping until one time I had a claim, because it was insured for $500.00 and they lost it, but did every thing possible not to have to pay, it took over 6 months jumping through hoops to finely get it, never again.

Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Yes, I paid $88 brokerage fee for my $275 package... and regardless of the claim, that portion is non-refundable. The cross border thing is where my vendor said he has had problems - his only other claims were on packages to Canada from the US.

Ron Johnston

Comment

My experience, in 17 years at this address, is that I have NEVER had a successful UPS delivery, EVER. 35 to 40 howling messes. Right now, I would rather drive to Maine, and I do (about 8 hours round trip) to pick up a parcel than to EVER AGAIN trust those complete idiots at UPS. They are completely useless at crossing a border, and they charge huge fees as well. USPS, by comparison, has never failed me once, in well over 2000 deliveries over 17 years. Nothing lost, nothing damaged. Generally, they are cheaper than UPS as well. Imagine that! The Post Office succeeding where private industry can't!!!

UPS 'might' be okay with the US, and they 'might' be okay within Canada but across the border-USELESS as well as being VERY expensive.

Latest--bought some difficult to find NOS stainless for my 57 Champions in January. Told Ebay vendor I would be away for a month, ship USPS. Vendor misunderstood, and shipped UPS. I emailed vendor from New Zealand to advise UPS to hold off delivery until I got back, he did so. When I got back, I got a mailed notice to pay $39 handling fees (ie, on top of the $28 they charged the vendor) and arrange delivery. I called, and arranged delivery with Charlottetown PE depot for two days after, and stayed home all day. No delivery, no call. I enquired next day, and it turns out (oops!) they didn't have it in Charlottetown, and hadn't for a month, although their records said so--HQ said that it was back in the overstock warehouse in Kitchener ON, and was awaiting destruction as an 'abandoned' delivery. (no notices about delivery were ever sent, mind you)
                          I tried contacting UPS many times--their position was that I had 'refused' delivery (uh, no, and there was contact to delay delivery) and they couldn't hold it that long anyway. They keep dunning me for the $39...but I found out that they would NOT deliver the parcel even if I paid it...they would still destroy it. The only way it could be re-delivered was if the sender re-authorized it. He did call UPS, AND went into the UPS office in Colorado where he sent it from. They told him it was being re-sent. When I contacted UPS Canada, THEY said UPS US cannot authorize re-sending, only UPS CANADA can, and the vendor has to contact UPS Canada to re-authorize it. I then asked what toll-free number he had to call FROM the US to contact UPS Canada, and they told me **they did not have the number, and would not give it out due to company policy anyway if they did**, but if the vendor called UPS USA and told them he had to speak to UPS Canada, and why, they would probably connect him, but he would have to go to a UPS store so that they could verify his ID. (!!!!!)

So I did that...etc...etc...and still nothing. After 4 months of this, I have given up and written it off. UPS is still sometimes trying to bill me for the $39 dollars for guaranteed non-delivery. Oh, even if the sender wanted to get the package back (another alternative), HE would have had to pay MY $39 fees AND some additional fees to get the parcel back. Even then, it would have been square one, because new fees would be charged to deliver it again..there was no do-over even though it was their mistake.

Now, if this were a one off...but this is the type of scenario I have had with EVERY SINGLE UPS shipment in the last 17 years, except with all the others I did finally get delivery 3 to 8 weeks after sending. Usually, I have been dealing with entry warehouses in Quebec instead of Kitchener, but the story is the same essentially.

They have told me, in no uncertain terms at various times that:
                          1) no-one was at home (gardening in front beside the driveway all day long, no vehicles came)
                          2) telephone number wasn't working (the same non-working number they were calling on...oh!!)
                          3) the postal code doesn't exist (sent them a link to Canada Post to show it...oh!!)
                          4) it is an invalid civic address or the civic address wasn't up on the house (sent them a picture showing Google Maps link AND picture of the house showing way oversize numbers under the porch light AND the official reflective

Comment

Now here's the twist! If I purchase anything off of the 'bay that's fragile, I insist on UPS. In my case the Post seems to have hired handlers from the San Fransisco Zoo ape house! Several packages have arrived with huge divots in the side of the boxes.[:0] Sometimes several![B)][8] Items have been pulverized, crushed and mangled in ways that are hard to believe.[V] This however, seems to be a local Phenomenon. My biggest problem with OOPS is getting them to deliver at all. They refuse to even attempt our driveway that FedEx has no difficulty with. Thankfully, most of the residents here in Lewiston have their stuff delivered to the local market. OOPS can find that.[)]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I seem to share Jim's luck with UPS. Plus the cross border stuff takes forever - I think my glass was 21 days, and according to the tracking went from California to Redmond, WA to somewhere in Colorado before entering Canada - not the most direct route! On the other hand, my new grill came USPS, and arrived in 4 days. No damage despite being paper and saran wrapped rather than in a box, and no surprise surcharges at the door. Problem for me is that FED-EX does not serve my city, so for some things UPS is the only option.

Ron Johnston

Comment

Working...
                              X