Differential issues... What a day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential issues... What a day.

Last night was a really long on trying to figure out the electrical mess that makes up a lot of the workings on my '40. Long story short, it now has rear lights, headlights, break lights, and turn signals.[8D] I was really happy about this because the wireing was a lot of work and at this point all I wanted to do was drive it. So I get in, start it, got a foot and a half and my rear wheels come to a sudden hault.[:0] First, I thought it was the breaks so Jim Maxey took a look at that and finally drove it. Breaks? No. Tranny? Not it... Must be the gears in the back end. (Crap, and other words...[}]) But it still drove in reverse, just no forward gears. By now it was dark so we called it a night, and then at 9am this morning I went back. We jacked up the back end and pulled off the cover to the diff. NO OIL.[B)][B)][B)][xx(][}] It must have leakeded out thru the crumbled gasket flakes that fell on the floor.[V] Well, all the gears were completely shaved and burnt up. They wouldn't even turn without slipping.[xx(] (but it still had reverse when it was in there[?] Weird...[:0]) So we went out to Toms place and got a new set of gears and axle, put sylacone where the gasket would go, and put it toghether. (With fresh oil too) Now I had this gut feeling that the tranny needed checked. Sure enough...[V] And it got an oil change, but I cought it in time. Long story short, it is now completely rebuilt and ready for next weekend! See you there! And a big thanks to Jim Maxey!

Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
    1963 Prototype cart built by Studebaker.
    Chris Dresbach

They took a picture of me and the camera broke...[V][)]

Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
    1963 Prototype cart built by Studebaker.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Xtopher, it's not your fault that the camera broke, it was simply low on grease.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It's shocking, how many people don't know where the silicon zerks are on their computers!

Comment

Looking good Chris!

Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

this ties in with an earlier post this week on what's involved in maintaining an old car....Case in point: here's a leaky rear axle..could've been the gasket crumbled OR a leaky pinion seal. Chris: check your pinion seal. Sometimes you can't simply replace the seal..you need shims and/or collar. Point is YOU MUST CHECK ALL FLUIDS EVERY MONTH !!!! Now I've found a leaky PS shaft seal..goes down about 1/2 inch with 1 week's driving.....Got to rebuild it or keep another can/bottle in the trunk.....

Comment

Working...
            X