259 Packard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 259 Packard?

Now, I'm not a Studebaker expert by any means, and don't really know much about them. BUT.. I do know that Packard never made a 259, so how did one get into this '55 Speedster?

Misrepresentation, or???

Eric Boyle
    Packard Engineering, LTD.
    Wichita, Ks.

<---Posts may contain anywhere from 30-100% sarcasm--->

Ninth picture shows a nifty little gizmo to keep the interior light off when the door is open---if you prefer. Why didn't I ever think of that?

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I've seen those on cars before, they're nifty when bringing home a girl after dark and she doesn't want to get caught by daddy.. Or me either. Ok, it was a LONG time ago, but still..

Eric Boyle
      Wichita, Ks.

Comment

He's just wrong.

Chris Pile
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

By October 1954, the engine would be a Studebaker-Packard Corporation engine, but it is a regular Studebaker 259 based on the Studebaker V8 that came out in 1951.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

1955 Speedsters came with a Studebaker 259 with a 4 barrel carb.

1956 Golden Hawks came with the new Packard engine.

1957 Golden Hawks and 1958 GHs and Packard Hawks came with a supercharged Studebaker 289.

Both Packard and Studebaker engines during 56-58 were about 275 HP, but apparently there were many horsepower games at the time, both upping and lowering advertised HP amounts.

The reason for the switch for 57 and 58:
            The Detroit foundry for making the Packard engine was closed, so no more Packard blocks/engines could be made.
            Studebaker marketing advertised the switch from Packard engines to Studebaker engines as weight-saving, although it appears to have only saved about 60 pounds, tops.

Comment

It's too bad they closed the foundry making the Packard engines, Studebaker could have used them as the top of the line engines or they would have made great truck engines. With a little more development, they would have lasted another 10 years or more. They are great engines if you replace the oil pump with something a little better.

Eric Boyle
              Wichita, Ks.

Comment

Working...
              X