Torque specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque specs

I want to do a valve adjustment on my '64 Champ V8 pickup. Normally I do this cold, to avoid the mess. This time I'll get the engine to operating temperature, then pull the rocker arm covers and adjust the valves with the engine hot, but not running.

Once the rocker arm covers are off, and before I do the adjustment, however, I want to re-torque the heads.

Sooo, here's the question: Do I need to adjust or alter the torque specified in the shop manual if I do it with a warm (or hot) engine, or just stay with the 55 to 65 pounds as advised in the shop manual?

Thanks,
    Larry

Stay with the Shop Manual. You probably will get some screws that need tightening, and some that don't Do this before you adjust the rockers.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

To be on the safe side I would torque the bolts to the low side of the recommendation-55 ft/lbs. While helping a friend assemble his engine he broke a couple of head bolts at 65 ft/lbs. Now perhaps the wrench wasnt calibrated but the bolts are over 45+ years old and many other factors could cause this. Just my opinion. I havent done many engines myself so take this with a grain of salt. Perhaps those who have more experience in this can chime in.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

To be on the safe side I would torque the bolts to the low side of the recommendation-55 ft/lbs. While helping a friend assemble his engine he broke a couple of head bolts at 65 ft/lbs. Now perhaps the wrench wasnt calibrated but the bolts are over 45+ years old and many other factors could cause this. Just my opinion. I havent done many engines myself so take this with a grain of salt. Perhaps those who have more experience in this can chime in.

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        If my memory serves me right, those bolts can stretch too. When torquing those head bolts, if you aren't quite getting to the specified torque and you think you should be by now, stop, back the bolt out and compare it to others for sign that the distance between the threads is increasing. I remember this happening on my '61 Champ OHV6, but I am a bit reluctant to mention it here because that was years ago and my memory is not the best. Nonetheless, I figure it is better to throw the possibility out there for you to consider than keep quiet because I may not be remembering the details correctly. ~Dale

Comment

Working...
        X