1961 studebaker hawk supercharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 studebaker hawk supercharged

hi guys i looked at what is supposed to be a 61 studebaker hawk with supercharged motor today the supercharger is a mccouloch the engine number starts with jts did they make a supercharged 61 hawk? the door tag on the car reads 61v-i81-- the cowl tag reads 61v-c6-1961 can anyone give me any info on this car...thanks rob

The car is a '61 Studebaker Hawk (coupe body) that someone has installed a '63 or '64 supercharged Lark or Hawk engine into. The original Paxton blower has been replaced with a McCullough unit.

Comment

The Collection Doctor is correct. I will add a little more. Studebaker did NOT make a supercharged anything, Hawk included, in 1961. What you are reading as an i (I) in the srial number is a 1 (one). Studebaker used an I for a 1. This is the 1961st body tub assembled for 1961 Hawks, out of 3929. The only supercharged Studebaker cars were in the 1957-1958 and 1963-1964 model years.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

61 studebaker

Originally posted by botsey View Post
        hi guys i looked at what is supposed to be a 61 studebaker hawk with supercharged motor today the supercharger is a mccouloch the engine number starts with jts did they make a supercharged 61 hawk? the door tag on the car reads 61v-i81-- the cowl tag reads 61v-c6-1961 can anyone give me any info on this car...thanks rob
        Did you see this 61 in west palm fla. I just purchase a 61 hawk with a supercharger

Comment

Originally posted by willieb6 View Post
          Did you see this 61 in west palm fla. I just purchase a 61 hawk with a supercharger
          Welcome, willieb6. The above mentioned partial serial number (though confusing with both an "i" and a "1" in its description) and the body cowl plate number ought to narrow it down pretty quickly as to whether it is the same car as is yours. Pretty cool that the body's number matches the model year. Please post some pictures after you follow the directions. If you post the complete engine number we can tell you in what Avanti powered car that JTS engine was originally installed.

Comment

Was this 61 hawk in west palm beach, fla. I purchased a 61 hawk within the past week got it home with all kinds of parts. Got the car running and ordered a new kit for the carb to get the supercharger going. The guy started at a price of 10,900 and finally sold it for 2500.00

Comment

Anyone else notice this oddity?

Botsey reports the body number being 1961; entirely possible.

But, after correcting for the normal "I" versus "1" misunderstanding, he reports the Serial Number being 61V-I8I (or 61V-181, depending on how you want to read it). But 1961 Serial Numbers started at 61V-1001.

'Makes no sense; 'something is amiss. At least one digit is missing from the Serial Number. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Can you also go back and get the engine #? If has a 'JTS' number, it could be worthwhile to buy it for the engine alone depending on the asking price.

Craig

Comment

Question: Did the 57-58 supercharged models have 2 or 4V carbs? Thanks.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  The Collection Doctor is correct. I will add a little more. Studebaker did NOT make a supercharged anything, Hawk included, in 1961. What you are reading as an i (I) in the srial number is a 1 (one). Studebaker used an I for a 1. This is the 1961st body tub assembled for 1961 Hawks, out of 3929. The only supercharged Studebaker cars were in the 1957-1958 and 1963-1964 model years.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                    Question: Did the 57-58 supercharged models have 2 or 4V carbs? Thanks.

2 barrel in a pressure box.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

I am having the fan motor under the passenger front fender replaced and if I ran a duct to the 2 bbl......Just kidding!~
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Did anyone else notice how OLD this thread is???

I doubt answers will come anytime soon...
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...