• Show
Clear All

• Calling DilloCrafter

Any updates on the '55 pickup? [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Hey, Matthew. Yeah, I haven't been participating on the forum much lately, and just happened to see your post this evening. Good timing.

The rebuilt, hopped up Champion Six is still in my garage, but today I did buy a compression tester and rigged everything up for the compression tests. An SAE mechanic neighbor recommended doing that to find any rebuilding deficiencies BEFORE putting it into the truck.

At first, I used jumper cables between a battery and the starter, but I could tell that all that current through small connection points was burning the heck out of the cable clips, and sparking alot, too.

So, I used the battery/starter cables out of the truck, and connected them from starter, to a spare footswitch, to the battery, the way they are supposed to be connected. I did use a jumper cable from negative terminal to a bellhousing bolt.

No sparks this time, the starter simply turned the motor over like it is supposed to do.

Specs call for 130-150 lbs.
    My compression test readings:
    1- 130
    2- 125
    3- 130
    4- 95 (yeah, that concerns me, too)
    5- 140
    6- 100

I'm hoping that if I try again tomorrow, with another squirt of oil in number 4 plug hole, and a freshly charged battery, MAYBE I'll see an increase in pressure.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Hey, Matthew. Yeah, I haven't been participating on the forum much lately, and just happened to see your post this evening. Good timing.

The rebuilt, hopped up Champion Six is still in my garage, but today I did buy a compression tester and rigged everything up for the compression tests. An SAE mechanic neighbor recommended doing that to find any rebuilding deficiencies BEFORE putting it into the truck.

At first, I used jumper cables between a battery and the starter, but I could tell that all that current through small connection points was burning the heck out of the cable clips, and sparking alot, too.

So, I used the battery/starter cables out of the truck, and connected them from starter, to a spare footswitch, to the battery, the way they are supposed to be connected. I did use a jumper cable from negative terminal to a bellhousing bolt.

No sparks this time, the starter simply turned the motor over like it is supposed to do.

Specs call for 130-150 lbs.
      My compression test readings:
      1- 130
      2- 125
      3- 130
      4- 95 (yeah, that concerns me, too)
      5- 140
      6- 100

I'm hoping that if I try again tomorrow, with another squirt of oil in number 4 plug hole, and a freshly charged battery, MAYBE I'll see an increase in pressure.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Cool deal Paul. Good to see it getting there. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, Georgia
        '59 Scotsman PU
        '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Cool deal Paul. Good to see it getting there. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, Georgia
          '59 Scotsman PU
          '63 Daytona HT

Comment

I hope that this newly rebuilt, uninstalled engine has a full charge of new oil in it before you turned it over with the starter. Your statement of "another squirt of oil" is what got me concerned. Yes, I know about putting some oil in to check for ring seal when doing a compression test. I also know that rebuilt engines are normally shipped dry.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I hope that this newly rebuilt, uninstalled engine has a full charge of new oil in it before you turned it over with the starter. Your statement of "another squirt of oil" is what got me concerned. Yes, I know about putting some oil in to check for ring seal when doing a compression test. I also know that rebuilt engines are normally shipped dry.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

You're right, Gary. It was shipped dry. I put two quarts of oil in it before doing these tests. Interestingly, no oil has come out of the oil pressure line that's attached to the oil pump. Are you saying I need to put more oil in, up to the "full" line on the dipstick?

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

You're right, Gary. It was shipped dry. I put two quarts of oil in it before doing these tests. Interestingly, no oil has come out of the oil pressure line that's attached to the oil pump. Are you saying I need to put more oil in, up to the "full" line on the dipstick?

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Working...
                  X