Clear All

• Positive caster question on 53 manual strg

I am thinking about a making a shim for the upper
    control arm with somewhere around 3/16 to 1/4 at the
    front bolt tapering off to 0 at the rear, and using
    a shim under the lower inner rear the same, I want 2
    degrees pos (I think) and maybe 1/2 neg on camber. On
    a 53 with Stude v/8 and radial tires, with steel wheels
    about 6 to 6 1/2 wide with same back offset as Stude.
    Lowered about 2 to 2 1/2 inches.

Tex in Alabama

Makin' a little progress

Back in 1971, my Avanti came with shims just like you describe. Under the forward bolt on the upper arm and rear on the lower arm.

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Hi, Tex,

Don't guess at how much wedge is needed for your application. Suggest buying or borrowing a caster/camber gauge. Then, loosen the bolts and install washers under them, tighten down. Put the weight on the wheels, bounce it up and down a couple of times and measure on the gauge. Four pizza pans with oil between each pair under each tire makes it easier to turn side to side to check caster/camber on the gauge. You'll probably need shims under both front-upper and rear-lower.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks, Bob and Jack. I guess this will work then?
        Is 2 degrees + on caster about right? Anyone running
        this and does it make it harder to steer? What is actually
        desired on caster and camber, with radials? Am I thinking
        close to right?

Tex in Alabama

Makin' a little progress

Comment

Just getting to +1 will make a huge difference in straight line stability. I don't usually to to +2; that will make it a highway cruiser, but it will react more slowly to corners. We're assuming the car has PS, because +2 is too much for manual steering.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

It is manual steering, so any positive under 1 would be good? Anything
            over 1 too much? I have and will use a gauge

Tex in Alabama

Makin' a little progress

Comment

Remember...pos. caster will make the steering a tad tuffer, more noticable when going slower.
              You'll get used to it...!

And yea, 1 to 2 + caster, and 1/2 degree neg. camber will make a ton of difference.
              Yes, to verify what you are doing, a caster/camber gage should be used.

It still won't get rid of the bump steer though.!

Mike

Comment

If you use 1/4 inch under the front top of the upper pivot you will be surprised at how much you will need at the bottom of the lower pivot. remember that the upper pivot shaft is a lot shorter than the lower. Also, to do the job properly, the upper arm would then need to be moved rearward to keep the control arms from binding with the kp during suspension travel.
                Sounds like a good thing to do, just think it all the way out first.

Comment

Manual steering with 2 degrees and it will steer like a bear without the car in motion. I would suggest trial and error staying as close to 0 as possible while still attaining the desired effect. I'm at 1 1/2P with power steering and it overrides my steering box at a stand still on hard surface(of course I'm using short steering arms). You will be amazed how much steering effort will increase.

Comment

FWIW, I read an article about Wagonaires that said they set them at 2 1/2 degrees negative to aid low-speed turning. No idea if or how this applies to yours.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
                    Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

Something else to keep in mind is that any changes in vehicle loading that affect frame angle relative to the ground also will affect the caster angle. So, if you're setting alignment on a rolling chassis or a complete car without gas in the tank or the weight of driver and passenger(s), the caster will increase in the positive direction when the vehicle is loaded and the frame angle changes.

Comment

Working...
                      X