Convertable??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convertable??

has Studebaker ever made a convertible in 1952 to 1959?? I was at a Car show in Lewiston Id. today meet a man that claims there was . I have never seen one.
    Also where can I find pictures of 1953 to 1959?

Thanks Mel Musgrave

Mel: Technically:

1. Studebaker marketed regular-production 1952 convertibles in both Champion and Commander series, so many would have been built during calendar year 1952.

2. Studebaker built at least one 1953 convertible prototype, but it was not part of the 1953 product line.

3. While the Lark convertible was introduced as a 1960 model, and was, they obviously had to build some of them in calendar year 1959, as 1960 models, so, of course, they did. But there were no 1959 model year Lark convertibles marketed.

4. They did not offer or market convertibles for model years 1953 through 1959. [8D]BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ke7lap

has Studebaker ever made a convertible in 1952 to 1959?? I was at a Car show in Lewiston Id. today meet a man that claims there was . I have never seen one.
      Also where can I find pictures of 1953 to 1959?
      Thanks Mel Musgrave
      Mel,
      Studebaker used the term "Convertible" rather loosely in some model years. They had model offerings they called "CONVERTIBLE" but actually had hard steel tops [u]AND</u> other model offerings they called "CONVERTIBLE" that had soft covered tops. So your car show friend today was somewhat correct.

Comment

Here's a picture of mine, before & after

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

I recall seeing a photo of the 53 prototype convertible sitting out the rear of a factory many years ago.Does it still exist?

A.C.Moisley
          A.C.Moisley

Comment

Great Job Jim! And yes I have seen the photo of the 53 Convertible along with a hardtop posted here on the forum. Both cream color.
            Good Roads
            Brian

Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Absolutely awesome job of recovery...Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

Here's a picture of mine, before & after
                http://www.turnerbrake.com/52%20Commander.htm
                Great job and great patience, Jim!!![^][^] What a beautiful car.

Your picture with the caption, "on the Notre Dame campus"...isn't that actually Tippecanoe Place?

Comment

Here's a shot of the prototype, now in a private collection in California, although I don't believe it was this color while still owned by Studebaker. It was originally a '53 model, but the factory updated it to '54 specs before selling it to a Studebaker employee on the condition it would never be re-sold. He kept that promise for over 30 years.
                  [img][/img]

Steve Hudson
                  The Dalles, Oregon
                  1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                  1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                  1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
                  1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
                  1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
                  The Dalles, Oregon
                  1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                  1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                  1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Working...
                  X