Studebaker brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker brakes

I was surprised to find that the pedal on my 65 Cruiser with drum brakes had gone to the floor and won't pump up.The reservoir is still full.[:0]
    The car has the set up with pedal through the floor and reservoir bolted to the frame.There is no booster.
    Anybody had this happen before? Without pulling everything to bits is there a way to check where air may have got into the system [?]
    Thanks for any info. here.

A.C.Moisley
    A.C.Moisley

Tony, It may not be air at all. It could be that the rubber in the master cylinder just gave up the ghost. It can't make pressure without the rubber cup working in the M/C. Good luck with that one. I'm just surprised that a 65 would still have the M/C under the floor.

sals54
    sals54

Comment

Through the floor pedals? I am surprised too, did right hand drive cars have a completely different brake system?

I thought they just flipped everything Left to Right and pretty much left it the same. [:0]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have taken out the bolt that holds the brass fitting to the back of the master cylinder and used a small round rod to push the stuck piston forward. Sometimes it gets stuck if the pedal goes to the floor.
        Allen

Comment

Don't forget that the problem may be caused by a wheel cylinder.
          Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Long Island Studebaker Club
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thanks guys.My apologies as I realized I should have put this in the Tech. section.I'm still green with all this.
            I think you may be right Allen, as the master cyl feels as though there's nothing when it's at the floor,so I suspect that may have happened.I'm thinking that the fluid may have bypassed the cup in the master,allowing the pedal to get to the floor without fluid loss.
            I'll take the good advice from everyone and take off the brass fitting at the back of the master first to check the return of the piston,then I'll start looking at wheel cylinders.
            This is the third '65 I've owned.Two were Cruisers with the 283 motor and one was an ambulance that had been fitted with a Studebaker V8 at a later date.It too was a '65 and all cars from memory had the pedal through the floor.I had a 64 Champ that was first registered in 1966 and the pedals were through the floor as well.Perhaps all Aussie assembled Studes were done this way.

A.C.Moisley
            A.C.Moisley

Comment

Working...
            X