Studebaker is Spending $16,000,000.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker is Spending $16,000,000.00

This ad appeared in the January 1946 issue of the automotive trade magazine Motor. Copy underneath this illustration said that, "That new building you see nearing completion in the picture above shows you only one step in the great $16,000,000.00 expanded production program that's underway at Studebaker. Before long, not only new buildings,but also new factory equipment and machines, new conveyor systems, advanced foundry installations and extensive retooling and modernization of existing plants will enable Studebaker to surpass substantially its pre-war output of fine cars and trucks.This expansion program is one reason why Studebaker dealers face the future so confidently. And commencing soon, the most intensive merchandising and advertising campaign in Studebaker history will throw a strong and steady spotlight on Studebaker style, economy and superior value.STUDEBAKER South Bend 27, Indiana, U.S.A. America's Friendliest Factory"

Allan - Ontario, Canada
    1963 GT Hawk
    1964 Daytona Convertible

It's important to remember that the purchasing power of a dollar in 1946 was a lot greater than a dollar currently. Using a handy online calculator, it takes $11 on a 2009 basis to equal the purchasing power of a $1 in 1946. So $16,000,000 in 1946 was like spending $176,000,000 today, quite a sizeable investment for a company and a testimony to how strong the Studebaker company was willing to make a post war investment.

Here's link for the "dollar value" calculator ...

What is a dollar worth, inflation rates, inflation calculator, relative value, worth of a dollar, how much is that worth, CPI, relative worth,

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Which building was this?
      sigpic

Comment

That should be the 2 story addition attached to the south side of the body plant. When the addition was completed, the recieving area that the rail road tracks serviced were covered by a roof which spanned from the Body Plant to the addition. Come to S.B. and you can still see it, it's one of the few buildings still standing. The photo was taken looking to the ESE and the long four section building in the background is where the Champ trucks and Avantis were built.

R2Andy

The building in question is #113. the long building running N to S are buildings 47, 47A, 48 and 48A. The tall building to the ESE of 47A is the Cambell Box And Tag Co. It now houses a moving company.
        R2Andrea

Comment

Did you guys work here or grow up in South Bend[?] How do you know all this stuff[:I]
          Good Roads
          Brian

Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

A huge investment and all idle 18 years later. Where will the Big 3 be in 2028?
            Thanks for ID'ing the photo R2 Andy. I knew someone here would be able to pinpoint what we are looking at.

Allan - Ontario, Canada
            1963 GT Hawk
            1964 Daytona Convertible

Comment

As to How do I know all this stuff? I've lived here for all but 2 years of my life. As soon ass I was old enough to spend time away from home I'd ride my bike down and poke around the plant. It's a rather interesting subject (obsession?) for me. Unfortunately I'm not able to claim to have been kicked out of (or at least redirected within)Factory property like our illustrious Mssrs. Krem and Palma. I was only 3 when the end came here.

R2Andy
              R2Andrea

Comment

And thanks for the post. darn, now there's another magazine to search for.

R2Andy
                R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                X