Is this 57 Hawk still around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this 57 Hawk still around

I was reading an article in the Sept 88 TW about a 57 Golden Hawk 400 that a fellow was restoring. By the production order it may be the first one built. It shows "SPECIAL SHOW" for the destination and has a bunch of writing on the rear including "THIS CAR TO HAVE THE UPMOST IN CARE AND WORKMANSHIP" Imagine sending away for a production order on your car and having one come back like this! The VIN is 6102851. The owner at the time was a Mr. Roger Singerling. The car was a basket case at the time. Does anyone know if it was eventually restored?
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

I've read that no known G/H 400's survived as I believe the # produced was very low.I have seen a few clones over the years but never a "real one."

Comment

I've read that no known G/H 400's survived as I believe the # produced was very low.I have seen a few clones over the years but never a "real one."

Comment

What is a Golden Hawk 400? I'm still new at this but thought I had heard of all the Hawks.

Comment

What is a Golden Hawk 400? I'm still new at this but thought I had heard of all the Hawks.

Comment

It's true, there were very few Golden Hawk '400s' built- wasn't it something like 50? I know (knew) of one down in the Jacksonville, Fl area. I hope it's not the only one!!! I think it has since changed hands, and hopefully is getting the restoration it deserves.
            Matt knows more about this one then I do...

StudeDave [8D]
            V/P San Diego County SDC
            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
            '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
            '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
            '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

It's true, there were very few Golden Hawk '400s' built- wasn't it something like 50? I know (knew) of one down in the Jacksonville, Fl area. I hope it's not the only one!!! I think it has since changed hands, and hopefully is getting the restoration it deserves.
              Matt knows more about this one then I do...

StudeDave [8D]
              V/P San Diego County SDC
              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
              '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

there was 51, 400s made 10 show cars 41 regular production cars.9 out of 51 have survived,maybee more.leather interior,

gh

Comment

there was 51, 400s made 10 show cars 41 regular production cars.9 out of 51 have survived,maybee more.leather interior,

gh

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kmul221

A number of years ago (10+) Jack White in NC owned one of the Golden Hawk 400s. It had been somewhat modified, so it was not immediately apparent when looking at it. IIRC, Jack found out it was a 400 when he got the production order from N&A. I am not sure what happened to this car after he sold it.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kmul221

A number of years ago (10+) Jack White in NC owned one of the Golden Hawk 400s. It had been somewhat modified, so it was not immediately apparent when looking at it. IIRC, Jack found out it was a 400 when he got the production order from N&A. I am not sure what happened to this car after he sold it.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The Golden Hawk 400 had the leather seats that were later used in the Packard Hawk. The Golden Hawk 400 also had a slightly different two-tone paint treatment involving the side grille openings.

There are probably more GH 400 clones/recreations around than there are true GH 400s. I have recently been in correspondence with someone looking to buy one. The one he is looking to buy has a four speed which, of course, is incorrect.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Golden Hawk 400 had the leather seats that were later used in the Packard Hawk. The Golden Hawk 400 also had a slightly different two-tone paint treatment involving the side grille openings.

There are probably more GH 400 clones/recreations around than there are true GH 400s. I have recently been in correspondence with someone looking to buy one. The one he is looking to buy has a four speed which, of course, is incorrect.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think the car Dave referred to belonged to Nollie Hinton of Callaghan Fla. He kept it stored in a truck with a van body. He told me he sold the whole package last year. I don't where it went. NT

Neil Thornton
                            Hazlehurst, GA
                            '57 Silver Hawk
                            '56 Sky Hawk
                            '51 2R16 dump truck
                            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I think the car Dave referred to belonged to Nollie Hinton of Callaghan Fla. He kept it stored in a truck with a van body. He told me he sold the whole package last year. I don't where it went. NT

Neil Thornton
                              Hazlehurst, GA
                              '57 Silver Hawk
                              '56 Sky Hawk
                              '51 2R16 dump truck
                              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X