PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Stone Studebaker Sale This Weekend

LionelElaines Daughter
04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Hello Studebaker family. I have been working with my husband Dave at dad's house and we are ready for our first sale beginning tomorrow.

It will be from 10-3 Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The Estate Sale folks have a sign in list outside the house and you can put your name down to get a number for the line into the house. (This is how they work it). All Estate Sale and Stude Sale people will go in through the front door. Starting at 9 a.m. the numbers will be handed out and the door will open at 10 a.m

<center>House Address: 4476 Matilija Ave., Sherman Oaks, Ca 91423
</center>

I look forward to meeting any of you who can make this sale. We have lots of tables of memorabilia, jackets, t-shirts, hats, trophies, and all kinds of things from various meets. And then we have all Dad's literature and books, catalogs, brochures,original dealer materials, manuals and there are many! Next comes the garage equipment to set up your home garage with anything you might need. And, last, but not least, is all the car bodies, dad's powder blue 1962 long bed Truck, C-Cab, T-Cab, golden hawk body, silver hawk body...sheet metal,fenders, tires, parts, etc. There is a tremendous amount of stuff.

Just a reminder that this is a 'PICK AND FIND' sale which means you have to look around, see if you find something, pick it out and come deal with my husband Dave who is a Stude guy as well.

All the performance parts are being sold to John Erb and you'll have to check with him on whatever you may be looking for.

Contact information for the sale: Paula (360) 510-4515, Dave (360) 483-8939
Address: 4476 Matilija Ave., Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
Get off the Ventura Fwy at Woodman and go South toward Ventura Blvd. Take a right at the signal at Moorpark. Take a right 2-blocks down at Matilija. It is toward the end of the block on the right.

Looking forward to seeing you. A big welcome from Dad, Lionel Stone to Sale #1.

Paula Friedman

Chris Pile
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Wish I could be there!

Chris Pile
http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/

289stude
04-23-2010, 08:49 AM
If any body here is going that could deliver a full collection of TW to interntional meet let me know please.

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/289stude/62R2-3.jpg

raprice
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Best of luck with the sale. It's too bad that I'm at the other end of the country (Long Island), otherwise I'd surely be there.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
Smithtown,NY
Long Island Studebaker Club

aenthal
04-24-2010, 07:20 PM
I just got back from the sale at Lionel's. I got some souvenir coffee type mugs and a few tiny things like stickers and magnets.
I had been to Lionel's before, but I had never been inside the house (that I remember). I had always been in the garage.
The "garage" was the kind of working garage every car collector would kill for.

Lionel had purchased and disassembled/reassembled a 1950's (maybe 1940's) gas station. At the time I first saw it, it was set up as a gas station with pumps (no tanks, just the decorative portions) and cars strategically placed. Today it really was a mechanic's garage with welding equipment, lots of transmissions and tools and bead blaster, and other things for people to find and buy.
It was not recognizable as a gas station.
Of course if somebody told you that it was an old gas station, you would instantly recognize it. But back when Lionel was younger, he had it set up so you walked down the driveway, in the neat suburban neighborhood of tidy tract houses, turned the corner, and unexpectedly found a vintage gas station, lost in time and space, in his back yard.

The things for sale inside the house were gorgeous. There was a player piano with maybe 200 boxed music rolls for it to play.
I had not known that Lionel and Elaine collected antique oak furniture. Those pieces were selling fast.
Paula was very friendly and efficient in the back yard.
The back yard had all the "car stuff".
The house had all the home stuff.

There was a kind of eerie feeling at the sale. Elaine and Lionel had driven off to a car meet with the intention to come home in a week or two. But they never did.
So here was the world they left behind, somewhat frozen in their time.

The people in the back yard knew Lionel.
But the people in the house, for the most part, did not.
They were just looking at the objects, with no concept of the people who had assembled them.

I came to get a memento of two people that I knew and liked.
And I got that. When I use my Studebaker meet mugs, I will be able to remember Lionel and Elaine.
Soon, the house will be empty. The back yard plants will be trimmed.
Then the house will go up for sale.
And somebody will buy a late 1940's or mid 1950's tract home with a really neat and huge garage.

They won't know anything about the life that went on in that house and garage.
But we do.

Milaca
04-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks for sharing Andrea. Do you have any pictures from when you first saw his gas station?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2736/4478293868_83da2fe493_t.jpg
Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
In the middle of Minnestudea

barnlark
04-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Andrea, thank you for that heartfelt account of the day. I've only been to that back yard a handful of times and once in the house, but I can see it even now. I missed being able to be there by two weeks, sadly.

This has certainly been one huge year in our small world of Studebaker: Enormous changes of what once were a constant. Once again, a history lesson to not take the little things for granted. Thank you for sharing.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/BlossomParade2009027-1.jpg

doug
04-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Thanks Andrea, beautiful.

aenthal
04-25-2010, 02:33 PM
No pictures of the gas station in its heyday.
That was back in the film era when every picture you took cost money and took a week to get back.

I did bring my digital camera to the sale yesterday, but ended up not taking any pictures because there was no place to stand to get a good shot.
The porch in the back of the house was filled with tables where non-collectible household goods were being offered for sale. So I couldn't stand there. There were tables in front of the garage, and Paula's tent was set up at the corner. Then there was the native vegetation, which had not been trimmed, and all the cars, which were in the yard.
A photo taken yesterday would not have shown it as Lionel's big-boy's-plaything gas station. Too much was in front of it.

So, I decided not to take pictures of what was left there in April 2010, and leave intact the pictures from a decade earlier, that are in my mind.

LionelElaines Daughter
04-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Wow Andrea, what can I say? That was a beautiful way to speak of the day. It was so nice to meet you all at Mom and Dad's house. Many of you I once knew or heard about. Many of you had stories to tell me and my husband Dave about my parents. It was a really heart warming way for me to be able to honor them and their love for all things Studebaker. It was difficult I have to say, hearing people talk about my Mom...even someone called me Elaine by accident. Things were a bit crazy here and there with people wanting me to price things I have only recently learned about. But, I did the best I could and was glad to get a start of clearing the house and yard. A difficult task for anyone to do, let alone under these circumstances.

The house will not be sold, in case anyone wanted to know, and the garage will stay intact until some future time, even though I got numerous inquiries about purchasing it as well. This was sale #1 and since everything needs to be clared eventually, I will keep you all posted on future sales. I was surprised that no one asked about some of the windshields, sheet metal, car bodies...I didn't know what people would need but I guess those weren't the items.

Last, but not least, the Studebaker Proving Grounds 'fence finial 'will be available for sale in the near future. Some of you saw it and if you are interested in placing a bid, let me know and I'll send you a photo.

Once again, thank you to everyone for saying hello and sharing your stories. And Andrea, that you for your thoughts.
Paula Friedman
paula4bellingham@gmail.com