Screwed up big time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwed up big time

Gents, I was removing the drivers side rear tire and totally screwed up. Broke two bolts before I understood it had a left handed bolt....

The drum is frozen on and Wow do I have a big cleanup on my hands.

56 Power Hawk
    San Antonio, Texas
    Looking for a club near by...

Well sometimes we learn by doing. When I take any of our Studebakers to the tire shop. I stay right there with them. I tell them over and over that they are left handed threads. They look at me as if I'm nuts so they don't get to touch the car. I usually get the manager because when he says left hand threads they seem to understand him. Its awful when we do it to ourselves.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Yep:: Made the same mistake...Only have three nuts holding on a front wheel on my 38............

Comment

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I've worked on later model gravel trucks and also International pickups from the 1950's with left-hand threads and the ends of the studs are stamped with an 'L'. Did Studebaker cars have their studs marked with an 'L'? I've never dealt with this on cars. If the lug nut doesnt come loose, take a look at the end of the stud for proper rotation.

Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
          In the middle of Minnestudea
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

now I have to fix the mess....any suggestions?

56 Power Hawk
            San Antonio, Texas

Comment

Do you have a hub puller? Remove the brake drum and hub as one and then pound out the broken stud. Good luck
              sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

I've worked on later model gravel trucks and also International pickups from the 1950's with left-hand threads and the ends of the studs are stamped with an 'L'. Did Studebaker cars have their studs marked with an 'L'? I've never dealt with this on cars. If the lug nut doesnt come loose, take a look at the end of the stud for proper rotation.

Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
                In the middle of Minnestudea
                Yep saw the L after the fact... feel very dumb tonight. Looking forward to a hard fix. I have a spare rear end with lugs. Don't want to mess up the fix. Any pointers would be helpfull. Like how to get the drum off when it frozen?
                56 Power Hawk
                San Antonio, Texas

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Do you have a hub puller? Remove the brake drum and hub as one and then pound out the broken stud. Good luck
                  bought one and it dose'nt fit.....

56 Power Hawk
                  San Antonio, Texas

Comment

Did you know the rear drum (hub actually) is a tapered fit to the rear axle that requires a special puller to remove? The one I have has three legs that attach to the drum - which three lugs did you break off? Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
                    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

The hub puller I've used for years looks like this - yes, I know it's pricey. Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
                      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

First off, don't feel dumb for breaking the stud. It's uncommon these days to have left hand wheel studs. I did a search and found some discussion of hub removal and what to look for in a tool. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ms=hub,removal

And here's a discussion about replacing the stud. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...el,hub,removal
                        sigpic

Comment

Remove all the left hand threads and replace them with right hand threads, future problems solved.

Comment

Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you can't use a hub puller, you can remove just the brake drum by pounding all of the wheel studs out. With the studs knocked out, the drum should come off without too much effort.

Sorry, I left out some important details and will explain further. When I did this one time, I was able to hammer the studs partially out which allowed me to remove the brake drum. With the brake drum removed, I used a 3-jaw puller to remove the hub. With the hub removed, I was able to remove the studs and install new studs in their place. I put the new studs in with a hammer, but I think I would have been better off having somebody press them in.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X