Searching is half the fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching is half the fun!

As the subject says, Searching is half the Fun! but it sure can be frustrating!
    I have been on the hunt for a 1960 Lark Convertible for some time now!
    a couple of years anyway. Found a couple on ebay but they went for more than I wanted to spend. Found a couple via the club members BUT when it came down to it, they decided to keep them... I don't blame em!!!
    Then I took out a Wanted ad, Lady called and got me all hopped up again.. and then..... When I am about to travel to look at it ,, She doesn't return my calls....or
    Finally I find a ad and call the guy, He has owned it a long time and has had it in storage in a container in his yard for the last 37years.
    He said when it went in it was in great condition, Yellow but could not remember the color of the interior?
    Says the top is great and seats etc are great!!!
    I asked him to get pictures but he is 85 and doesnt have computer or digital camera.
    He called me a couple of days after chatting and said he took took the lark out of the container. ( The container had no door on it)
    He says the roof is rotten and upholstery is just ok not perfect.
    ( I think it will be rotten as well)
    He put a new battery in it and it flashed right up no trouble.
    Its all there but he changed both doors to black doors that he says were in better shape, and has 4 door panels but only the doors on the car.
    So I am heading out for a 3 day drive to have a look and hopefully buy it.
    I should phone him and get the VIN that should tell me a few things?

Searching for a 60 Lark Convertible, the search may be over?

With the serial No. (VIN numbers came after Studebaker's demise) you can write the Studebaker National Museum and get a build sheet, telling you how and when the car was originally built. The serial number is simply a sequential number for the assembled car.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

With the serial No. (VIN numbers came after Studebaker's demise) you can write the Studebaker National Museum and get a build sheet, telling you how and when the car was originally built. The serial number is simply a sequential number for the assembled car.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars
        Can that be done for a 1938 studebaker or is that a bit too old ?

Comment

Studebaker National Museum has production orders from 1936.

Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

[img][/img]

The half after searching isn't always fun, but it is for your vendors.

Comment

I have to admit that I love the search. Though, I'm not on the lookout for anything specific. Looking for one particular make and model will almost always introduce an element of frustration, but hopefully you will have success. Good luck.

sals54
              sals54

Comment

I know what you mean about the search; anyone have a good passengers side fender for a '62 Lark convertable? :^)

Studebaker classifieds! www.studeswap.com

Comment

Unless I didn't have anything else better to do, I'm not sure I would take a 3 day drive (one way?) to go look at a car - even a desirable car - without having all facts and knowing the price. (I presume you have this knowledge). I would only make a trip like this if I was going to buy regardless and I had the cash in my hand.

I might suggest that another SDC member may be able to check it out for you to save the trip - but then again the price and value may be exceptional.

Good luck - I hope it is really nice and you join the club.

Comment

Working...
                  X