Flex plate reinforcer "question"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex plate reinforcer "question"

How inportant is it really? I've never seen one and did'nt know they existed until looking in my 8E12 parts book.over the years working on a few cars never saw one,maybe people never bothered to put them back when re-installing?checked S.I. and they list #527801 for cars and avanti 50-64 but not trucks(probably a mis print on their part)so should I order one up or put together without like it was for who knows how long?

Joseph R. Zeiger
    Joseph R. Zeiger

I believe that without the reinforcer ring, the flex plate will flex awkwardly around the washers that the bolts go through and form cracks. With the ring, it will flex around the outer diameter of the reinforcer ring and not crack. This is just my theory, for what it's worth.

Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
    In the middle of Minnestudea
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I don't think I would go without one Joe!
      Jim S.
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

The Studes that I've serviced over the years with automatic transmissions all had the reinforcing ring. The Studebaker engineers decided that it was a necessary part and I would recommend installing one. Bud

Comment

Thanks all,I'll hit S.I. Monday.funny I looked at two other plates laying loose and only have washer marks!

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Joe
            I have heard people delete the reinforcement ring and add another flexplate. Has anyone done this and was it successful?
            pb

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63r2

Joe I have heard people delete the reinforcement ring and add another flexplate. Has anyone done this and was it successful?
              Sure lots of people have done that, even some Studebaker Garages, but you have to wonder if the idea of a "FLEX PLATE" is to flex, making it too rigid may be a bad thing!

I have also heard of lots of people using the '50-'55 Detroit Gear 3 band Studebaker Automatic flex plate which is something like .063 thick instead of the thinner Flight-O-Matic one.

My thought is that IF you have a properly dialed-in bell housing, there is no reason to worry about beefing anything up, if it worked fine on R2 Avantis, it's good enough for me! [^]

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Peter,good question and I'd like to know the answer to that also!I have flex plates I could use here.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I am with Rich on this (we normally agree). If everything is in proper alignment and installed correctly, the way that Studebaker had it is adequate for anything up to 300 HP. Yes, I have seen a rare flex plate failure on cars that came to the shop, not my own.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X