X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome Plating

I saw a add in old cars weekly today.The add is for
    Level 2 show chrome.Any one know any think about it?I never
    heard of it before.I need my Avanti bumpers rechromed.
    Thanks for any advice

LENNY

Great question. I get chrome work done on a weekly basis at my shop. And whenever a new salesperson comes by to sell his chrome plating the first thing out of his mouth is "Show Chrome". When I aked them what is 'Show Chrome' they start fumbling around and come up with all different stories. I do believe it has to do with the amount of nichel they put on the part. Now after saying that don't ask me to explain it. I will say that most of our chrome work is done by two shops and I really can't tell the diffence. Maybe I am getting show chrome from both at non show chrome pricing. I would say look at their work and decide if the quality is acceptable.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Great question. I get chrome work done on a weekly basis at my shop. And whenever a new salesperson comes by to sell his chrome plating the first thing out of his mouth is "Show Chrome". When I aked them what is 'Show Chrome' they start fumbling around and come up with all different stories. I do believe it has to do with the amount of nichel they put on the part. Now after saying that don't ask me to explain it. I will say that most of our chrome work is done by two shops and I really can't tell the diffence. Maybe I am getting show chrome from both at non show chrome pricing. I would say look at their work and decide if the quality is acceptable.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

[)]All the truly "show" chrome is triple plated. One of the processes is layer of nickel plating, I can't remember what the other 2 are.[)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

[)]All the truly "show" chrome is triple plated. One of the processes is layer of nickel plating, I can't remember what the other 2 are.[)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
          http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Copper, nickel, chrome. Preparation of a smooth surface to recieve the plating is time consuming and expensive. Handling and disposition of the chemicals involved is subject to governments regulations and contributes greatly to the expense.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Copper, nickel, chrome. Preparation of a smooth surface to recieve the plating is time consuming and expensive. Handling and disposition of the chemicals involved is subject to governments regulations and contributes greatly to the expense.
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I read an extensive article about chroming in one of the Petersen pubs years back. The copper is layed down first, then the nickel, then the chromium. The quality, lustre and sparkle of the finished piece has nothing to do with the chromium layer and very little to do with the nickel - it has everything to do with the quality of the buffing done on the copper layer! If the copper isn't buffed and polished well, the finished piece will be only so-so.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I read an extensive article about chroming in one of the Petersen pubs years back. The copper is layed down first, then the nickel, then the chromium. The quality, lustre and sparkle of the finished piece has nothing to do with the chromium layer and very little to do with the nickel - it has everything to do with the quality of the buffing done on the copper layer! If the copper isn't buffed and polished well, the finished piece will be only so-so.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Having re-chroming done is the most frustrating part of any car I have done. Never on time, and quaility is all over the board no matter the price. I have tried 8 different companies. Some of the work was excellent but these companies are now run by different management so quality suffers.
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Having re-chroming done is the most frustrating part of any car I have done. Never on time, and quaility is all over the board no matter the price. I have tried 8 different companies. Some of the work was excellent but these companies are now run by different management so quality suffers.
                      64 Champ long bed V8
                      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I've been using Librandis plating in Middletown (sp) Pa. His bread and butter is he does all the plating for Harley Davidson of York. He is alo an old car buff. He runs about 10-12 weeks behind, but, everytime I've sent stuff, it shows up in about 10 weeks or so.
                        Quality has always been excellent, price, well it's not cheap, but, you get what you pay for and pay for what you get!

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

I've been using Librandis plating in Middletown (sp) Pa. His bread and butter is he does all the plating for Harley Davidson of York. He is alo an old car buff. He runs about 10-12 weeks behind, but, everytime I've sent stuff, it shows up in about 10 weeks or so.
                          Quality has always been excellent, price, well it's not cheap, but, you get what you pay for and pay for what you get!

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Just got the wing vent frames for my 53 Coupe back from LiBrandi today; $110 each.
                            Headlight doors (rims) for M5, $175 each.

Paul's Chrome Plating has a web site that details a lot of the process if you want to walk through it.

Brad Johnson
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            33 Rockne 10
                            51 commander Starlight
                            53 Commander Starlight
                            Brad Johnson,
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just got the wing vent frames for my 53 Coupe back from LiBrandi today; $110 each.
                              Headlight doors (rims) for M5, $175 each.

Paul's Chrome Plating has a web site that details a lot of the process if you want to walk through it.

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              33 Rockne 10
                              51 commander Starlight
                              53 Commander Starlight
                              Brad Johnson,
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X