Stude parts cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude parts cabinet

Yesterday at lunch a co-worker asked me if Studebaker made wagons. I said yes and gave him a very brief history of Studebakers wagon making days. He brought up some pictures on his cell phone of a cabinet he had found in an antique store. The store owner told him the cabinet was used in a Studebaker wagon dealer to hold wagon parts. I can not verify if this cabinet was in fact used for that purpose but I thougt it was pretty neat just the same. There is a nail at each level that keeps the drawers from being pulled out.
    Anyone ever seen one before?

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Used to work in old hardware store when I was in High School. They had one like that. I think it had plow points in it...... and attaching hardware.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

Comment

Like Ken, I have seen cabinets like that, r very similar to it, in old hardware stores. It certainly is a beautiful piece even if you can't prove it once housed Studebaker wagon parts.

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

My wife would go nuts for a cabinet like that. She loves the old library cabinets as well as the old Post Office box cabinets.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

Yes, when I was a kid a local grocery/general store had one that looked very similar. I know that my Dad and other people we knew who shopped there found the cabinet very interesting even back then. The business started in the 1920s and closed in 1969.

Comment

Wow, I'd love to have that cabinet. Wonder what the shop wanted for it?

Regards

Jase

Comment

I like it. [^] It would be nice if it had the Studebaker name on it, but was probably just a cabinet maker's generalized effort and hand stenciled for the hardware buyers. Would a wagon repair shop call the outside wheel parts, "tires"? The "tire care" bolt sizes are intriguing.
              I can't ever find the right nuts and bolts and my cabinets are clear plastic. Even with labels, I'd really have a tough time with over 50 drawers...if there is one more row on the bottom. I like the mom and pop hardwares that still have those cabinets around here. Nice touch.

Comment

Yes, the iron bands around wagon wheels are called tires.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

That's where we got the name! Thanks, Gord. Would you consider that cabinet 1880s to 1920s?

Comment

with my inexperienced eye I would suggest pre 1900.Also if you look a little closer Dave it is actually "CAR'E" don't know what that signifies, I did a search on it hoping for some clues but no joy.

1958 Golden Hawk
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 Avanti Salt Racer
                    1952 Starlight
                    1958 Golden Hawk
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 Avanti Salt Racer
                    1963 Avanti R2
                    sigpic

Comment

Just one more unsolved Studebaker mystery.
                      Canadian..."fix my tires on my car,eh." [)]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buggboy

Wow, I'd love to have that cabinet. Wonder what the shop wanted for it?

Regards

Jase
                        My friend said they wanted $3400.00 for the cabinet.

Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO
                        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
                        X