Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New SI South Bend location is WONDERFUL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SI South Bend location is WONDERFUL!

[] Jim "Brake Kit" Turner and I traveled from the Indianapolis area to South Bend today (Thursday, April 15) to attend Phil Brown's funeral. Very nice and appropriate; a gorgeous day, if it had to be.[V]

We got to South Bend a bit earlier than necessary, so we decided to stop at the new Studebaker International satellite / SASCO parts purchase warehouse in the former Chippewa Plant on South Bend's south side. Ed Reynolds and several workers were there, including Andy Petrass and Kyle Maxey. Ed had a few minutes before he, too, needed to leave for Phil's funeral , so he gave Jim and me the 15-minute tour.

Quite simply, Jim and I were amazed at the extreme organization and proper storage of the enormous number of parts that had been moved from the Engineering Buidling / former SASCO location. I doubt the parts have been this well organized, properly stored, and inventoried since the original SASCO closed in 1972. In fact, having seen all the parts in the several moves and locations since 1972, it may be stated catagorically that the parts have not been this well accounted for and safely stored since 1972, period.

The new facility is tight and secure, much more so than the assorted leaks and creaks of the old Engineering Building. The racks and rows and bins are unbelievably well organized and they aren't done yet. However, all the stock has been properly moved to the new facility and, while maybe 20% of it remains to be properly identified and placed in a final, organized, manner, "no way" did Jim or I expect to see such an excellent arrangement with clear aisles, racks and pallets stacked appropriately to the tall ceiling, and everything so well labeled.

Andy and Kyle were steadily and gainfully employed, with Andy referencing a 1959-1964 Body Parts book while Kyle was identifying, cleaning, and neatly stacking some vent wing assemblies they had just uncovered in the staging area.

Overall, I do believe this was a better scenario than any of us could have imagined. All the accolades and "atta-boys" that have been tendered to Ed Reynolds for having stepped out and undertaken this project are well deserved.[^]

Congrats, Ed, for a happy ending to what could have been a horror story! [8D]BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Yep, The Studebaker International (South Bend Division) is a really well organized and great place to house all those parts! Most important, they will be DRY!

great job Ed and all that helped!

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

The move was "something else"... And cold, but it all payed off. I assure that anybody who has not gotten a quick tour will be very impressed at the May meet.[^][]

Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

1940 Champion two door.
      Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
      1963 Prototype moon cart built by Studebaker.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

I'm hoping to sell my 59 Lark to someone wanting to pick it up in SB or thereabouts so I can attend the Meet next month. If I do, a visit will be on my list. How 'bout some pictures Bob????[]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
        Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

I am aiming for a personal visit during the International Meet in 2012. []

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

Vancouver Island Chapter
          http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Neither Jim nor I had a camera with us, Bob; we hadn't planned to stop.

Besides, glare from all the shiny stuff might have damaged the lens...I'm tellin' ya', this is one sanitary place! If you dropped a cookie on the floor, you probably wouldn't hesitate to pick it up and resume consumption![:0]

(Well, Ok; perhaps I overstated the facility's purity just a little bit. [}]) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Directions please !

Where is it located from the fairgrounds ?
              I've never been by there before.

Thanks,
              fstst56

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fstst56

Directions please !

Where is it located from the fairgrounds ?
                I've never been by there before.

Thanks,
                fstst56
                See here.

Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

1940 Champion two door.
                Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
                1963 Prototype moon cart built by Studebaker.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                X